CLASSIC-Crashes When enabling VSync

More confirmation that turning off the Discord overlay solves the issue.

1 Like

Closing all apps that overlay works, I had discord and geforce exp running. F.Y.I, even if you close discord for geforce they will have background process still running. CTRL+ALT+DEL open task manager, sort in ABC order close all discord sessions open, scroll down to nvidia Shadow Play, and close that one as well. Open WoW Classic and turn Vsyn on, boom this time no crash.

While testing this, I tried just closing out geforce and discord by normal methods and still had issues, than I task manager and closed discord still had issues, so I starting going thru nividia ones and I know shadow play uses overlay and saw that process was still running in background, so I closed that one retried vsync again and this time works.

I’m also having this issue with Classic, but not BFA. I’m told hardware settings were changed and if I would like to restore to defaults. If I select yes on BFA I can load up just fine but not in Classic. Not sure what’s changed but its nothing I’ve done. This is all happening after my laptop shut down the other day because I didn’t realize it wasn’t plugged in and battery died.

Tried every solution I’ve found online so far, Classic continues to give me 3D error yet no problems at all with BFA unless I select “No” when asking to restore to default Hardware Settings

1 Like

Still working! Just disabled overlay and exited/restarted discord + game, no more error =)

Also confirming. Exiting Discord, and relaunching WoW, I was able to enable vsync

Most overlays cause this, discord, Nvidia Shadowplay etc

It’s 2020, has this been fixed yet?

1 Like

I have fixed, Discord is to blame.

Also confirm, discord was the issue.

no, it has not lol

1 Like

Special thanks to Liziveta on the forums here, but if you turn on Windows 7 compatibility mode on the WoWClassic.exe, you can change any settings without crashing! I also am a user of Discord and I have not had to close the program to make the change after applying this fix.

2 Likes

same thing happens to me… :frowning:

still crashing months later… nice

1 Like

This works!

4 months later still crashing, multiple tickets opened. Nothing. This threads advice is NOT a solution for everyone. Disappointed I can freely do anything on any other version of wow, but crashing on a 15 year old client lol… really wish I could fix this, I’ve tried my utmost best legit, I give up on this I have accepted this bug to be a permanent thing & that’s actually just sad givin the fact this game is literally 15 bucks a month to play and nobody can fix this solution for me.

Stopping discord and disabling overlay in ( literally) everything i could ( i dont use them anyways)

WoW Classic no longer gives that error when adjusting certain settings anymore. it also stopped a few of my other titles from jittering randomly while playing. so huge thanks for the suggestions for these!

Was getting this error while using precision x1 from evga and having the osd on screen.

Its worked great when I disabled both Precision X and Discord thanks.

I do not have any overlay, and discord isnt even running and i still cant enable vsync

I’ve been suffering from this issue for years on multiple machines and literally today I found the fix.

There was some NVIDIA bloatware my machines have (Geforce experience I believe) that have an overlay that will cause the issue EVEN IF THE OVERLAY IS COMPLETELY DISABLED IN SETTINGS. IF YOU “CLOSE” OR CLICK THE “X” ON THE PROGRAM, IT WILL LIKELY MINIMIZE TO THE TASKBAR AND WILL NOT ACTUALLY CLOSE WHICH IS WHY I NEVER CAUGHT THE PROBLEM, I THOUGHT THE OVERLAY PROGRAM WAS CLOSED AND DISABLED SO I ASSUMED IT WASN’T THE ISSUE.

When I killed the NVIDIA processes and actually closed that garbage (can also right click the green icon on the task bar and hit “Exit” or “Close” I think it magically started working.