Class Training and Leveling

I am a returning player after a 6 year hiatus. I have a mishmash of very old and some newer gear - mostly casual leveling gear with cheap gems thrown in for an extra push while casually leveling. I want to get my main (ret pally) and some alts back up to speed, and there are so many changes since 2013. While I am embracing change, I have a question.

Has training changed? Do we visit a class trainer for new or upgraded spells, or do they automatically appear in our spellbook now as we level?

Thanks!!!

Any comments on where I should be stat-wise at level 90 are welcome. I have a lot of catching up to do.

You now get your class spells & abilities automatically & at no cost. Visiting the class trainer is no longer necessary.

1 Like

IN case you haven’t run into it already, the class/spec guides at icy-veins.com are very good.
They are oriented towards level 120 but will give you the gist of rotations, talent choices, etc.

I love icy veins. Great site with tons of info.

The only question I can’t yet find an answer to is about stat percentages/caps at various levels.
ie what to shoot for at 85 and 90, not end game/max. End game doesn’t matter as much to me. I want to focus on where I should be as I go along. I won’t be raiding, but I care about getting my stats where they need to be at various levels so I’ll be ok in five man randoms.

There are no stat caps any more. They got rid of Hit entirely as a stat and got rid Haste breakpoints. The only thing that matters below level cap for ret paladins is have as much strength as possible on your items. For secondary stats, you can follow the end game guides to get a general idea of what to favor, but you will change through gear so quickly before end game that it really doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Caps aren’t as much of a thing as they once were. While there are “soft” caps for some stats, now it’s more about weighting per class.

My personal preference is to get around 15% Haste (because that’s the point where my rotation doesn’t feel like I’m just standing around waiting for abilities - that’s personal preference though, not absolute), then stack secondaries based on sim weights.

Endgame is the only time when that really matters, though. 85/90/100/110 only mattered when they were the max levels. Now they’re just pass-through levels unless you’re planning to run at-level raids with xp locked. Honestly if you’re not planning to do any kind of organized (Normal/Heroic/Mythic) raiding at all, your stats won’t matter all that much. With high enough level gear, which can be obtained easily through non-raid sources, even someone whose stats are a complete mess can make a passable showing in dungeons these days.

3 Likes