"Class fantasy" is super important, and why people loved Legion

No, Legion was slop. The story was garbage and lazy, class design was abysmal, it kept Cata-WoD era class redesigns and slapped the band-aid of borrowed power onto them (One that everyone rightfully hated later on), etc.

Legion, much like Mists of Pandaria, benefitted from being sandwiched in between two absolutely garbage expansions.

1 Like

The legion questlines and the kirin tor policy allow anyone, and its stated to be a neutral territory tho that line was tested in mop.

But that is excellent stuff to touch on in the future and I would like to see some racial friction because of it and how they would handle it.

But for all intents and purposes, it is the hogwarts of wow, but with a troubled racist past.

“Whoah man, they wrote a story for why it was homogenized, that means it’s not homogenized!”

Imagine typing this with a straight face.

1 Like

I typed it with all the data available, Bet we will get a questline for some non human vying for a place on the council to make sure what happened in mop cant happen again.

ChatGPT-tier response.

And race is the frame of reference that lens fits into. Human Paladins and Z. Troll Paladins are the same class with VERY different experiences and cultures that influence how they react to different situations and what they value. Just like in real life, culture plays a huge part in how people see and experience the world regardless of if they’re a soldier, an artist or whatever other “class” you want to assign them.

1 Like

Completely agreed. I would even say, the mantle of leadership has been dispersed for the Class Halls, and just say you’re one of the leaders, not necessarily the singular be-all, end-all President of your class hall.

Regardless, I do think Class-oriented stories and gameplay segments add a ton of flavor, and it’s the kind of thing that keeps you coming back, that makes you truly fall in love with your class.

Like Death Knights, we’re the only class in the game that uses Necromancy. One of the coolest quests in Legion was investigating the area near Karazhan, and using your powers to speak with the dead. It was something you knew was unique to the choice YOU made when you chose your class.

And I mean, why is your character going to each new expansion area? We know the gameplay reasons of “it’s higher level and drops better loot”, but that isn’t compelling in and of itself.

Having a simple quest, like Darion Mograine telling Death Knights “We burned a lot of bridges in our wars against the Lich King and the Burning Legion, we would like you to accompany Alexstrasza and her kin to their ancestral homeland to show them that we are not the enemy they may think we are”, would do wonders for making the expansion feel more relevant. Or specifically in the case of DK’s, we actually resurrected our very own Frostwyrm in the Legion class-hall mount quest; it would have been awesome if our “mount” got to introduce itself and perhaps speak on our behalf, pleading for Alexstrazsa to give us a chance to set things right.