Chromie Questing for New Players

Okay, so I remember Blizzard changing the lvling with the argument that they wanted players to explore the “world” instead of being rushed through content to reach end game. Fair enough…
Then came Chromie Time, which was a cool addition, now veteran players (Or players lvling an alt), could choose what content they wanted to lvl through again…

Maybe I just missed it because I had max lvl toons before Chromie Time, but now that I have made a new account (US), I’m basically being looked at as a “new player”… I wanted to lvl through the classic zones, as they have a form of Nostalgia to it, after so many expansions, but I am met with “You need to have a lvl 50 toon, bla bla” requirement?..

Up until lvl 35 I can somewhat lvl in classic zones, but then I’m forced to go to BFA content… How is this “exploring the world” ? There is SO many cool zones that new players could explore, so many quest chains that have much value, and they are being pushed to the previous expansion… This could be okay (And great emphasiz on “could”), if it wasn’t because of the billion things you have to catch-up and maintain in end game… So by the time IF your main reach elite / KeyStone Master / Mythic Raiding (Depending on your favorable content type) the expansion will be over, and new content is already being dropped on you…

I think players should be able to choose Chromie Time, right after the intro island. A pop-up warning could be put in, like “Hey you’re about to skip the previous expansion going into even older content, if you want to proceed click yes” or something. It doesn’t remove anything for the player, as they can just change timeline again, if they wish to go back to BFA… It only allows them to explore the world, content, and quests as intended in the first place. That is why so many people fell in love with the game, not this forced path until you unlock the ability to freely choose, when Blizzard thinks you are good enough to take your own choices…

I believe the philosophy behind funneling new players to BfA is that it is the most modern leveling content. Some of the older content is a bit, shall we say, rough? And they don’t want that to be a new players first impression. (Remember, those players won’t have nostalgia for that content, it will just feel outdated.)

While you can’t level through the really old zones all the way to 50, you can reasonably get to 48 to start Shadowlands without touching BfA. (Personally, I think Legion is a better leveling experience, even for new players, than BfA.)

Without Chromie Time, here are the expansion caps. While XP does start to drop off one you’re one level above the content, you can squeak a extra couple levels out before the penalty becomes too harsh.

Vanilla, BC, Wrath: 30
Cata (Hyjal, Vashj’ir, Deepholm, Uldum, and Twilight Highlands) and MoP: 35
WoD: 40
Legion: 45

I see your point - but as I mentioned, I don’t see what it takes away from the experience to allow (great emphasiz) players to freely choose.
I came back to the game in Legion after having stopped before Wrath, and going through the initial content again was so cool for me.

One of the cool things about having such a big world is the option do discover and get to the end goal in your own path. Having your route there already pre-determined unless you have the knowledge that you can skip the Boralus quest for later takes that away from me.

And also funneling them to the latest expansion, takes so much away from lore… As alliance you’re introduced to Jaina who all of a sudden takes you to an island where everyone hates her for some reason.

But again, its just my humble opinion and I think it would add something to the game, that players could choose freely what expansion they seem to believe is coolest to try, and they can change if they are proven wrong afterall. So I see no bad side only positives. ^^