Christmas is a depressing holiday

No, it is not depressing imo because of the rampant commercialization (though that may be a part for some people), I find it depressing because of the somber, bittersweet feeling of longing for your childhood, reminiscing lost loved ones, and the dead of winter. Not to mention the sappy Christmas music that plays in the radio.

My mom frequently plays Josh Grogan’s Christmas songs, which I think are neat but they are kinda emotional and make me feel gloomy. Grogan is not a bad singer, but his songs make me feel sad sometimes.

Christmas feels more alive when you go to Church or watch those classic cartoons (The Grinch, Charlie Brown, etc), stuff that lifts up the spirit.

You may disagree, but that is ok. Which holiday do you think is depressing, and why do you think so?

2 Likes

I found the shows to have a somber feeling…

Garfield’s Christmas had sadness to it that tears at your heart!.. Which is what draws me to the scene!

Memorial Day, but that’s the easy answer people often forget that it’s considered a holiday though. Christmas and New Years will always be the two choices because the winter season is when most people are depressed. The saddest day of the year world wide has been calculated to be early-mid january as well spirits are already completely low.

Very easy to feel that way. I’ve been there. I enjoy Christmas now more vicariously through my kids and my nieces and nephews. Watching their excitement brings back how it was for me - far too many years ago.

Yeah, the Christmas music doesn’t help. For two months we get bombarded with the same tunes all day long and by the time Christmas actually arrives you want to scream. At least I do.

But I’ll never, ever get tired of watching “A Christmas Story”, “A Charlie Brown Christmas”, or “How The Grinch Stole Christmas”. If I ever start getting the holiday blues those never fail to cheer me up even though I’ve seen them dozens of times each.

But not the Rankin-Bass version of “Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer”. Most depressing holiday special of all time.

Every Christmas, I pay close attention to what channels are playing those classics so I can watch them. I know I can find them anywhere, but it makes it even more nostalgic when the cartoon comes to me rather than me going to the cartoon.

Do not mention Christmas! You may draw the attention of the Carey.

/shudder

It sucks when you have really bad memories related to the holiday and people get RIDICULOUSLY offended when you’re not hyped about the holiday.

1 Like

Christmas has always been drama season in my family, and several of my loved ones have died in December/January. I haven’t enjoyed this time of year in decades.

the feelings we all have towards all holidays especially christmas, are super personal. i don’t find any of them depressing, just kinda boring

Spread the Christmas Spirit and you’ll be embraced by the Christmas Spirit as well.

1 Like
1 Like

:frowning:

1 Like
2 Likes

Weird Al is the best!

1 Like