Christie Golden Laid Off

doness knows how to read ? this isnt twitter. her post should have said

i know thats hard to understand. funny part is your so wrapped up defending golden that you are forced to defend doness as well lol. clickbait titles are clickbait titles.

1 Like

No I’m not inadvertantly defending Doness, I am defending Doness. Deliberately.

Your point is stupid. Shut up about it.

The Horde were a series of ugly racial caricatures until BE’s became a playable race.

clickbait is clickbait. again tell me what her nephew dying form cancer has to do with her job employment? dont worry, ill wait.

1 Like

This is unfortunately I fear a big part of why they struggle to give many Horde races a good identity today.

They leaned so hard into the kind of gross “noble savage” stuff that what do they even do now?

Blizzard struggles to write any culture which is depicted as tribal or clan-based.

1 Like

I’ll believe it when I see it. They promised us he’d be relevant in Legion and Shadowlands as well, and it didn’t really happen. Part of that was due to Metzen’s surgery, but still. Don’t count your chickens, and all that.

5 Likes

That and they can’t divest troll identity from the DnD trolls they are based on who were described as ‘stupid savages.’ Blizzard has had multiple opportunities to subvert that narrative but instead feeds it.

The new Dragonflight codex says trolls were not as smart as Night ekves because they didn’t evolve near an arcane font with Order magic.

Metzen’s in and she’s out. I call this an improvement.

5 Likes

“Khadgar has in the past been that guiding figure for us, but the story of The War Within, it’s not just about that,” associate art director Tina Wang said in an interview with GameSpot. “We have our main characters, Alleria and Anduin, who are big drivers of the story, and so much of The War Within is about their journey as well and their discovery, them healing the wounds of the past and really delving into that layer of who they are.”

Ok, here’s Blizzard saying who the main characters are.

It’s more than that DnD trolls don’t have the irl coding the WoW trolls have. That also contributes to the stereotyping.

2 Likes

I said he would be relevant. I didn’t say was that he was going to be a main character. Big difference.

Ok honestly the Trolls are probably the WORST case of how Blizzard has handled a race in this aspect.

A tribal tropical people who we originally meet on a set of islands who speak with Caribbean accents. Oh, and also they eat people and practice this mysterious thing that’s named after the real world practice of voodoo. Oh but it’s ok because this one tribe was “civilized” and are no longer savages.

Geez why not just come out and tell us that islander people are savage cannibals Blizzard?

It’s a shame too because I really do like Trolls regardless. I think over the years there has been a LOT to like about them, but that whole root is kinda inescapable for me. I appreciate that at least aesthetically with Zandalari they play more into mesoamerican themes and don’t exactly talk much about cannibalism anymore. But it’s rough to fully move on from that starting point.

2 Likes

That was always a mistake on Blizzard’s part going right back to WoW’s roots. You can somewhat get away with calling a monster a monster when it’s not a player character, not so much when it’s a foundational member of one of your two major player factions.

2 Likes

It’s too late for them to change the story Golden and the rest of that team wrote in, I think. Her absence and Metzen’s contribution will be felt after the next expansion, I suspect.

1 Like

You do realize half the games glaring issues, story and otherwise, were because of the foundation Metzen laid right?

2 Likes

No people have conveniently forgotten that Metzen led us right into things like the main story of Cata and WoD.

3 Likes

No, I don’t. Because that’s not true.

1 Like

No it would actually be a lot worse if trolls weren’t playable. The Darkspear are tame compared to non-playable tribes. They’d do a lot worse to them if they weren’t playable.

1 Like

It certaintly is true. Metzen had a hand in everything up to WoD, than he left for a few years.

People give him way too much credit

Well that’s some sad news…
I wish her the best and I know she will do well she has soooo many books written by her I have no doubt she will.

My condolences to her loss.

2 Likes

Not relevant enough for Blizz to mention.

2 Likes