"Choices Should Matter."

Huh? I’m saying your talent choices don’t matter as long as there’s at least one viable choice per row so your spec isn’t broken. That’s my perspective, could be wrong. Blizzard doesn’t care because “Fury Warrior” works, regardless of whether there’s one or two dead talents per row.

Edit: I’m also saying it sucks. So, there’s that.

They’re not wrong though. Here’s the thing - swapping talents actually doesn’t make any sense from a logical point of view. It’s purely a gameified system when gear was boring and borrowed power systems with customization didn’t exist. Covenant soul-binds / conduits being locked and talents being flexible is really the reverse of the ideal situation - your core character should be relatively fixed and defined (and work completely out of the box, but that’s a different topic) and extra features should be able to be bolted onto them.

So if Blizzard can’t take swappable talents away from people, the next best thing is to simply create a situation where people aren’t inclined to switch.

I think talents that go “single target” vs “AoE” are never going to be an interesting choice. Whenever there’s a fight, it’s going to be “is this an AoE fight, or a single target fight?” And then you choose the right one.

I think the talents should be structured such that they value different play styles and gear paths. For example, a talent that actually changes your stat weights, making crit better than haste for one build, and haste better than crit for a competing build.

The change, at first, would be largely based on what gear you had, but eventually you’d get to choose, “do I want the speedy build or the OMGWTFBBQ crit build?” Or bleed vs bludgeon damage types. Or Global-locked play-style vs long, methodical play-style.

Those kinds of talents are harder to think up, for sure, but I think they have a better chance to be balanced.

1 Like

Hi Ralph, can you please tell me when the following abilities/talents are useful over the obvious choice in their tier?

When would you ever use Fortress of the mind or Shadowy Insight over Shadow Word Void

I can’t think of any time. SW:V is simply a superior ability.

What about mindbender and void torrent compared to lingering insanity? Lingering insanity is just a superior talent.

And what about that last tier oh man can you tell me all the times you’ve used Surrender to Madness?

Sometimes, things are actually just bad compared to other things.

meanwhile using shadow insight at literally everything because it feels better and because I dont need to be a meta slave to do well

This is why I normally ignore your posts. You either troll really well or are to busy stating bad opinion as fact…

Just cause you made the 32nd thread about a subject you obviously know nothing about doesn’t make you right or even in the same ball park.

1 Like

You dodged the question buddy.

Sometimes there is no real choice because other options are just bad. They will never be viable.

You think you’re special because you take one or two talents that are “different” and you’re proud of yourself because “I do ok”.

Meta builds exist for the sole reason that certain talents and builds simply synergies well or are overall better.

The problem isn’t with the meta builds the problem lies in the fact that the talents and abilities are often times clearly worse than other options.

I appreciate that you won’t actually understand this fact, and it’s likely a waste of time even typing this.

Until blizzard makes it so that all options are useful and can be viable there will always be meta builds.

The illusion of choice is not really choice.