"Choice" in the hunter tree?

Why do we have to make hard decisions between class/spec spells we had access to only yesterday… when some other classes can pick all those spells PLUS have enough points left over for EXTRA utility/healing spells from specs they arent even playing?

Why do some classes retain some utility spells without having to talent into them, and yet we have to waste a point on Concussion shot, a spell so iconic and NECESSARY it was one of the earliest spells new hunters earned? (level 4!)

Why is Explosive Trap effectively removed from the game? Making anyone choose between Intimidation and anything else is no choice at all.

Why do I have to waste a talent on Misdirection? Or waste my time respecing into it and out of it each time I step out into the world?

Who would EVER waste a precious point on Scare Beast?

Why is the likes of Tar Trap even a talent in itself? and not simply improved via the tree?

Why do we have to pretend serpent sting and steel trap are suddenly high tier abilities now?

Meanwhile mongo melee retain, and even gain mobility, healing, cc, and even get ridiculous covenant utility spells thrown in to boot? We get a povo, significantly nerfed Sentinel Owl, that is a situational arena ability, versus the likes of The Hunt, Spear of Bastion, Grabby Hands…

What in the hell is going on?

44 Likes

Feedback and suggestions were left behind

11 Likes

The Scare Beast talent legit made me laugh.

16 Likes

What had me laughing were the spec trees. Harpoon nerfed, going from a 20s cd to a 30s cd… unless I invest a second talent point to take an additional talent that takes it back down to 20s… but also makes it instantly break any soft CC on the target by adding a cheeky little dot.

:crazy_face:
[Terms of Engagement]
Talent
Requires Hunter (Survival)
Requires level 15
Harpoon has a 10 sec reduced cooldown, and deals (50% of Attack power) Physical damage and generates 20 Focus over 10 sec. Killing an enemy resets the cooldown of Harpoon.

6 Likes

That’s kind of how I felt when I logged in, I was pretty sad that see that a lot of our utility is locked behind talent points. Really feels like a downgrade to me.

13 Likes

Because it is.

Hunter Dev must only be employed because of nepotism or something, because they were asleep at the wheel the ENTIRE dev cycle.

It was clear from the beginning they didn’t know what to do with the talents because the ONLY thing that happened was some musical chairs on half baked garbage that was never going to work.

Supposedly it’s the same Dev that did the Shaman trees and I just can’t figure that out. Near as I understand the Shaman trees are some of the best, and if that’s where all the work went, that’s great. But this is a billion dollar company, they can afford to put the work and polish in on the whole product, they don’t need to leave entire classes on the cutting room floor.

4 Likes

I mean, you can make builds to suit your needs. Not like once you pick it, its GG.

…I’m just happy we get a melee Hunter back again. I’ve only been playing an hour, and I’m already doing the one thing I haven’t done since Legion: having fun with Survival.

I swear, people will piss and moan over everything.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s because ppl have always asked hunters to be nerfed ?

Choice in talent trees was always just an illusion.
For any given spec, there was always a preferred PvP and a Preferred Raiding group of talents that 90% of the people playing the spec would go with.

Imagine if we could get 2 charges of disengage, like rogues have 2x shadowsteps, warriors have 2x charges, mages have 2x blinks (shimmer), dh has 2x fel dashes… etc etc.

12 Likes

I feel certain abilities should have stayed out of the talent tree. I play a BM hunter. Bestial Wrath should be part of the build not the talent tree. Multi-shot/beast cleave should also be part of the base abilities. The basic attacks and what makes the spec unique should not be part of the talent tree and should be included when you select that class and spec. Instead you should set a couple of talents to buff its damage or extend its duration.

13 Likes

There’s never a choice. You either play the right way ir play it wrong and by yourself. It won’t take long to have addons warning your about inferior spec builds again.

6 Likes

Out of Hunter, Rogue, Paladin, Druid, and Priest, I’m the most frustrated with the Hunter trees so far, and this has been my main since 05. Everything seems all over the place, and there’s nothing exciting about any of the specs.

A lot of Hunter abilities should have been baseline with a few new abilities thrown into the tree to make it fresh and exciting to spec.

I feel like this was intentional as too many players play Hunter and Blizzard wants people to branch out to other classes.

14 Likes

I said it in other posts, and ill say it here too.

I still think there are far too many talents that are 2pts or more than there should be.
The lock tree is a great example of how a majority of passive and ability related talents are only 1pt.

BM tree has 13 options that are 2 and 3 pt choices. that really sucks.

13 Likes

Miss Direct being a point is so redudently stupid. An utility that helps not only the Hunter, but Tanks is an optional point.

8 Likes

I’ve been saying this since BFA, I’ve opened multiple tickets/suggestions with this exact suggestion for disengage, and nothing. Wasted my time I doubt they ever even read my suggestion.

1 Like

So far, my biggest gripe with the class tree is that binding shackles still exists. The entire point of being a hunter is to not get hit, and if you’re pve’ing you pretty much never will. This should either be a pvp talent, get deleted, or moved out of the way so I can take Int and get my pet dmg talents.

Other than that, I’m pretty content with how BM and MM play at the moment. Not perfect by any means, but I’d say they fared ok coming out of the revamp.

2 Likes

Lol good for you bud. Too bad compared to every other class Hunter is SEVERELY LACKING. You having fun with Survival doesn’t mean it’s good…

I doubt anyone will listen to the SUPER Casual DRAENEI PALADIN with an ilvl of 230 LOL. Prolly playing Survival Hunter at ilvl 150 but yet you are like, “WhY YoU MoAn OvEr HuNtEr I’m HaViNg FuN”

I swear, someone always wants to put their 2 cents in.

4 Likes

The new builds are interesting. The fact that SV is once again Melee focus, “with some range” is a good thing. There are choices, but one must understand, MB is the bread and butter of the build. You could probably get away with a raptor strike build as well, but it would still be your top spender, and just do damage in a different way. Have not had a chance to play around with a RS build as of yet.

For other choices well you can run with a pet damage build, you can go with a AOE damage with the use of exp shot, charkum, use the ranger talent, that could be interesting. Bleed build using the extra bleeds, and using ST with this would also be interesting, I would say it may be harder, but it would be interesting. Also I have not even went into PvP builds.

Is everything perfect? No, is it all doom and gloom? not really. There needs to be some adjustments, some tweaks for the better and not nerfs, but I honestly feel, (SV Hunters) will be ok for raids or M+. It would be no different than the stigma we already have, so nothing changes there. Just go and show we know how to play, and sit back a read how overtune we are when we succeed.

1 Like