Character model controversy

Precisely! Visuals with options brings more company. However here they believe end game does the trick not realizing not every consumer is here for end game. There’s some here for pvp, questing, dungeons, cosmetics and other interests. Their competitors multitask between those like nothing where WoW only wants to focus on is raiding.

Very true.

I normally mainly raid but bfa is so bad i have given up on being serious about the game. And thus i am again unsubbed.

Maybe next expac or 8.2 will be better.

I wonder why most people complaining about this are from Moonguard?

Answers obvious isn’t it? Its the internet and moonguard is famous for its rp in goldshire. Adults want good looking character models that blizzard fails to provide.

By blizzard actions they have now destroyed millions of players fun and thus thrown away countless dollars. Blizzard isn’t so dum as to not know how humans function on the internet.

Now as a business they will only loose money due to thier stubborness. Blizz work with the mod communities. Make players happy for some profit and everyone wins.

1 Like

If you can’t make your point without such insane exaggeration then your point isn’t worth making. This didn’t effect “millions” of players…

Considering the fact they just recently laid off a bunch of people, was it really a wise decision on their part to ban a bunch of people (further decreasing their revenue) for doing something that has no effect on anyone else, at all? Seems to me this has caused them more ill will than anything else at a time when they need all the good PR they can get.

A - Everyone was unbanned a few days later, with a warning to NEVER DO IT AGAIN.
B - You are making an assumption that no one was abusing this to give themselves an unfair advantage. I am sure that most were using it for perfectly fine reasons and some of the model changes I saw on reddit were great. Yet I also saw some who stated that they were using it for other reasons and those were the true targets of the ban wave. But they probably can’t tell the different between someone who made their breasts look better and someone who made the WSG flag pool a giant pink barber pool. So they gave everyone using the app to inject the model changes a warning.

By blizzes own ommission they can tell who was straight cheating and who was just making better characters. Thats how they decided to unban.

Blizzard knows who the mod creators are. And when these mods have millions of downloads. Its not a stretch to assume blizzard will loose money from players quiting.

As a business blizzard would be better off working with said modders to create a solution that would get people what they want.

Or if they overhauled the character creator to todays standards.

Hundreds* 10/char

If you find said communities and look at total downloads. Its more then hundreds of players.

Sure people cheat. But again blizz knows who did. Those who did not straight cheat got unbanned. Blizz openly said most of the players wheren’t cheating only using visual edits.

The numbers the automated system caught prompted them to further dig into players files and see exactly what was happening. Combined with lost profits.

Blizzard is fighting a never ending battle they can’t win. The communitties will resurge eventually and blizz will keep loosing money.

Or they could work with the modders to find a solution that gains them profits and makes players happy.

2 Likes

I wish XD it’s bad enough that they made human model boobs smaller. There definitely should be more, er, impressive buxom all around :stuck_out_tongue:

The bans said right on them appeals wouldnt be allowed. Not that it matters most folks not actually cheating where unbanned 24 hrs later. But aldo flat threatened if caught again.

Even worse the creators of said mods where directly threatened by blizz. Blizzard knows who made what. We all have a digital footprint on the internet.

Blizzard can very easily look directly into our files and tell exactly whats out of place.

As a business blizzard is only pushing people away and costing themselves money.

The bans are being reversed , but with the knowledge that everyone knows not to do it again.

There were no bans in the first place. Blizzard doesn’t ban players anymore, Blizzard suspends players. This is the only game community I have come across that doesn’t know the difference. There hasn’t been a ban wave since MoP, WoD started the suspension waves that we still have today.

Did you bother to read I was responding to someone else who was using the term ban? thank you very much.

And you think this has not happened before? People have been model editing since wows creation. Blizzards apologies and threats are both meaningless in the grand scheme.

It is human nature to find a work arounds no matter what. People will in time find new methods and share them. Blizzard will never win the war. History repeats itself.

Blizzard only hurts their own wallet by pushing people away. They would benefit more collaberating with said modders to find a mutually beneficial long lasting solution.

A similar mass suspension occurred in legion and was reversed. Because alot of people like to have good looking hd characters.

This time though blizz directly threatened mod creators. Because yes blizz can track mod creators and knows what exactly edited files are.

1 Like

I can also see legitimizing this technique being waaaay more headache than it would be worth in goodwill from letting the fringe of people who can’t put up with a fairly standard restriction in persistent multiplayer games.

How official does it get, do you go with an official mod program that keeps things within the aesthetic changes only and prevents the tons of ways you can cheat with graphical mods? So, if they do that then they will feel the need to police it so that their name does not get attached to what ever scandalous thing that a modder wants to have, be it racist, sexual, criminally sexual, copyright infringing, and whatever other horrible things the human imagination comes up with. And that becomes something that needs paid employees to handle. (look at the various outrages when a 3rd party seller through walmart’s website puts up a racist t-shirt, it’s not “Racist sells shirt on marketplace website” it’s “Walmart found selling racist merchandise”)

And dear god if any monetary price is put on modding to recoup the costs associated with policing it, the outcry would be immense.

If you go with turning a blind eye to these type of programs but only for aesthetics. Then you’ve just made cheat detection a lot more complicated. You’re going from “Did something modify game files? Yes/No” to having to determine the intention of the modifications, the endless run around at the edges where people keep poking to find ways to get cheats through ‘legally’ (What? No, I have a low level priest alt that I like to think is tough, that’s why I modded all the cloth sets that are most popular with healers to have a giant floating skull and crossbones above them, not any nefarious reason)

You have valid points. But blizzard only stands to outright loose subs the more they fight the modders.

Modders that will never stop modding due to human nature.

If they find a way to collaberate with them they could gain players. Hell they could ask for some extra sub money in return for allowing more adult mods (lets be real most people probably use a nude mod because we are human).

Keep in mind mods are downloaded and used in the thousands and millions. Its not a handful of people blizz stands to loose forever.

If you dig into the interwebs you can find said communitties. And plenty of folks are done with blizz now.

Lets just say in theory you have half a million people that have used visual mods for years. Imagine how many of them will move onto a different game. Or the code savy ones will work out new methods to get around blizz.

Its never ending.

1 Like

But actively collaborating to make nude mods, especially as a paid feature, BAM ESRB rating goes to Mature which hurts at least retail sales, and may effect sub numbers for underage players who have a sub paid for by a parent who isn’t comfortable with that. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, but concerns a company has. And with the attempted crackdown on rule 34ing of their properties seems to say that they’re trying to keep distance between having attractive character models and using fan service to move units.

I just don’t know that there’s enough people who would give up the other aspects of the game for losing the graphical mods that do exactly what they want would be more or less than what they might lose if the game goes to M rated.

Like I said, I just think that they’ve probably decided that official mod support or even just looking the other way about them, is more of a headache than the constant back and forth, and it’s not helped by the fact that it sounds like the launchers used to run these mods are the same ones that are used to cheat at the game, so it makes it harder to go after mods that are bad intentioned because now they have more wiggle room to hide behind. (I’ve known for ages that it was frowned upon so by the time I heard they were around, I knew they were a risk to use so never really looked into them)

Look, I know that there’s these communities for that type of mods and they can do impressive things, hell, Bethesda wouldn’t be as popular as they are today if they didn’t have modders who were better at optimizing their game engine than they are. But, eh, it’s always been the rule, it’s a common rule in multiplayer games that keep a persistent world or track player progress. So I’ll keep my enjoyment of what modders can do confined to games that welcome it and enjoy WoW for what it offers. It’s a trade off for playing with a lot of other people, the games tend to be much twitchier around things that might be used to cheat with.

Like omg im gonna throw up w/o old character models option. Please help us!!!