Changes I'd like to see

Hey everyone,
I’d like to start out with a feeling I know some people may be feeling. This is a disappointment. I would really like to see Classic WoW as a reboot and not just some old file they found on an old server that they decided to dust off and release as something to be excited over. I think the general experience of this would be better if the graphics were overhauled to what they are now on retail and some of the creature functions that don’t take away from the game are added. (i.e. Area Looting, smoother combat animations, quest indicators, etc.) I think having these things would improve the quality experience. To see how Vanilla could have been had Blizzard have the knowledge and capabilities they have today. Think of it as a fresh start and not just releasing the same game from 15 years ago with all the aches and pains that came with it. This is your chance to show us, your fan-base, that you can be more! That you actually value us as clients and wish to pursue our business. Words only mean so much. Actions mean everything. These are just some thoughts that I feel would make this a worthwhile experience.

2 Likes

It sounds like classic just isn’t for you. Many of the things you listed as problems are the reasons I stopped playing retail.

I don’t want quest indicators on my screen. Having the game tell me to go here, then find objective here, then go here to get reward, is one step away from just watching a streamer play. Hell, many quests in retail don’t even bother asking you to turn it in. The screen just pops up and says click to complete.

The joy of this game for many is simply playing. Getting to 60 without effort is what killed the game for me. If they add area looting, quest indicators, and tons of graveyards and flight paths, We’ll all just end up sitting at 60, wondering what to do after we get all the raid gear…

12 Likes

These are just some things I have heard people say that makes the game more streamlined and enjoyable for them. I just want better graphics and smoother combat. I played in beta and on launch. To be given a product that has had 15 years to be worked on and fixed and re-release it with the same bugs from back then is just poor form, in my honest opinion. Also, I never said to make the quests easier to turn in or add more flight paths. But, eventually… The population will be 60 and sitting around asking that very questions. If they make these changes or not.

I disagree with the comment about the graphics, at least if that implies new character models.

The new models are part of the reason my enthusiasm for retail has waned, and I’ve never been happier as when I logged into Classic and saw my old character back again.

If you’e talking about higher resolution textures and things other than characters, I’m not as opposed, but I feel that if Blizz did that, then the characters would look out of place.

1 Like

These “creature comforts” you’re talking about (read: quality of life improvements) are not something that belong in classic. Over the years, as Blizzard has added these “improvements” to the game they stripped away, little by little, the RPG element of MMORPG.

No one can argue that retail is not a massive multi-player online game, however there is no role playing game to be found. And no, I don’t mean RP servers, different beast entirely.

All of the QoL improvements take away the element of the game that people who enjoy the RPG genre actually want. True RPG’s don’t hand the player anything. While modern ones have quest help that plays out like you’re following along on rails, traditional RPG’s, after teaching the bare-bones basics and of how to play, throw the player into the deep end. Sink or swim, that was entirely up to the player.

Classic WoW brings back those elements and gives us the MMORPG the world fell in love with 15 years ago.

5 Likes

You can use add-ons to help with quest markers. I have done every quest in Classic dozens of times. I know where everything is, as many who played back then do. So adding the area where you should be for certain quests doesn’t take away from the immersion of the game. Also, I can see the people here are focusing on the quest portion when it was said that graphics and combat was the main focus. You can get the same experience as OG vanilla on a Private Server, so what’s the point of paying for a subscription? Making this version better than the original is a good idea. Plus, if people like to quest, they will read word for word what is being asked. If they just wanna get to the endgame then they will just hit accept and run to the quest location. That’s their prerogative on how they wanna play. Improve the game from past mistakes.

Nope.

The idea of Classic was borne out of people who don’t want it to be all about the race max level. Quest tracking just makes it boring and monotonous to complete them. Read the quest log, and hit up wowhead classic if you get stuck, but you have to live it.

You can still crank the graphics to 10 and get Classic in an updated graphics feel, or leave it on 3 and get the original experience. Combat animations are what they are because that is what brings back the feel of what Vanilla was like. Changing it just go towards the feeling of Retail, which is still there to be played if you want it.

As for AOE looting that was one of the biggest downfalls of the WoW economy. It took farming to a completely different level and screwed the economy right up. I loved it in SWTOR, and was juiced about it when it came to wow, but it really screwed up the economy and looking back on it I wish it hadn’t been implemented at all. That one is a hindsight is 20/20 rule in all its vindictive glory.

Most people who wanted Vanilla back, and fought for classic wanted it as close to what it was, and I have to say blizzard did a pretty good job all in all. But none of the changes you asked for seem to be what anyone i know wanted. As much as you have the ability to voice your thoughts I disagree with them and hope things stay the way they are right now.

1 Like

There are small changes (or improvements) I would love to see in classic, quest marking, displaying the flight masters on the freaking maps, and area looting, that I feel like are simple things they could make toggle-able if people really wanted to “keep it vanilla” that wouldn’t ruin the experience for others. Simple to implement and not game breaking creature comforts I personally would enjoy doesn’t mean “classic just isn’t for” me or that it isn’t a valid wish to have. Everyone plays mmos for different reasons. I do not like retail, I have quite frequently left the game since cata dropped due to it not being enjoyable. Do I think that is due to graphics being upgraded or quest markers being implemented? No. Do I think I should be shamed for wanting those things in vanilla while keeping the rest of the actual game intact? Also no.
I think what most of the people hating on this idea’s problem is that they are reaching for nostalgia that will most likely be short and fleeting anyway. I feel like revamping the original game with slight tweaks that give you a bit more creature comfort that you could easily toggle off if you didn’t want it “corrupting” your experience isn’t a big deal to want.
Calm down and go take a walk or something.

1 Like

EXACTLY WHAT I AM SAYING!!!
I am not wanting anything to make this easier. Just better… More for today’s market.
All of you dudes that posted about Classic not being for me and that what I am saying is what Ruined the game. First of all… The farmers killed the economy… The dailies ruined the economy… Second, one of you didn’t do vanilla raids until 2013… 9 years after release… The patch that released achievements came out 10/15/2008, if you look at my achievements, I got credit that day because I did all of vanilla when it was content… I know vanilla like the back of my hand. I don’t want to relive what was a decent game 15 years ago. I want Vanilla 2.0 I want it upgraded, better, more polished. Not a dusty old game that still has bugs from launch.

I hate the updated models. I transmogged my paladin to the Judgement re-color and clicked “show helm” for the first time in years after we got new the models. Ugh, awful.

3 Likes

Retail is there for creature comforts. Get addons for that weaksauce if you need it.

I’ve returned for classic, not retail lite.

5 Likes

And even that doesn’t remove the stupid run animations. My dwarf went from his awesome waddle of awesomeness to some kind of springloaded bobbing thing like he was trying to run and look over a fence at the same time.

1 Like

I honestly prefer the old models because I find the “snapping” movements when strafing more appealing.

This is something I noticed when the new models were released. I didn’t like it, and I still don’t like it.
My character with updated models feels “heavy” and slow.

I didn’t start playing the game for the character models either that are just going to be covered head to toe in armor.

If I were to pick one thing, it’d be guild banks because this is a overall quality of live improvements for a social aspect of the game.
Other than this, I wouldn’t touch it.

Players asked for CLASSIC.
Elysium (private server) basically DID just dust off the files & present it, and there were complaints and petitions when Blizzard shut them down.
My opinion, every tiny little thing you change from the original game, makes it NOT what the players asked for.
Would graphics updates, transmogs, quest markers, etc be improvements? SURE! Would they still be what the players asked for? NOPE.
You either want Classic, or you don’t- although, complaining about what we have to work with was also a part of Vanilla as well.

1 Like

Everything you are asking for is why you should just stick to retail. Classic is supposed to be about the journey of progressing from lvl 1 all the way through raids and not a rush to 60 followed by a raid grind and then only logging in for raid nights.

I am not against them making changes and improvements but it should be taken as a completely different game from retail and any changes or balances should be made with that in mind. We shouldnt expect that eventually all classes will be normalized to do the same thing or that hunters, for instance, are destined to get a focus bar instead of a mana bar, or talent trees are destined to be reduced to a cookie cutter build.

2 Likes

Awesome! It seems you know what you want out of a game and you want Blizzard to make that game for you. That’s really cool. There was a game that me and a couple hundred thousand other people desperately wanted, and we were vocal about it too. They ended up making that game. It’s called Classic WoW. We had been wanting to play this exact experience for years upon years. In fact, people put a lot of work and research into trying to create the experience as closely as they could.

So when you come to Classic WoW and start asking them to change the game that all these people really, really wanted, I hope you can understand why you’re not going to be greeted with hugs and kisses. And when you act like you’re speaking for the Classic fanbase, well, that’s not winning you any friends either. It’s incredibly arrogant and entitled.

1 Like

Leaves Retail to play Classic
Wants Classic to have the same “QOL” changes Retail had and destroyed the game entirely post WOTLK
Be surprised when people who want CLASSIC are not interested in your “ideas”

I love game forums.

Honestly, I think the only change they SHOULD even consider is gear sets. The raid sets are all junk unless you’re a particular spec, and even then the stats are all over the place. I’d LOVE to see them redo the tier sets with the itemization reworked for each spec like BC/Wrath did. Same skins, just flavored so the specs are more viable and more optimized in gear terms.

I’d be ok with some very well thought out balancing changes for the complete crap specs, but only sometime after BWL. Some 31 point talent changes in ret, or feral, or disc/ shadow to give them a little boost but nothing in the first 3 tiers of talents to keep hybrid specs around. But then again, I won’t argue against people that don’t want any changes at all either. I got into this knowing full well what to expect having played vanilla the first time around and I’m perfectly happy with the way it is.

EDIT: or give Pally tanks a taunt.

1 Like