Change nameplate font colour?

I prefer to use the default nameplates, but I’d like to change the font colour from red to white. I don’t need all the extras that come with nameplate addons, so I don’t use them anymore.

Not much came up in a Google search, but since addons can do this, there must be a way to change just the font colour.

Can anyone help?

Copy paste the following into the website addon.bool.no to create/download an addon to change the colours (for enemy names)

local function ChangeColor(self)
	local unit = self:GetParent().unit
	if UnitIsEnemy("player", unit) then
		self:SetTextColor(1, 1, 1)
	end
end

local f = CreateFrame("Frame")
f:RegisterEvent("NAME_PLATE_UNIT_ADDED")
f:SetScript("OnEvent", function(_, _, unitId)
	local unit = C_NamePlate.GetNamePlateForUnit(unitId).UnitFrame
	if not unit.hookedForColor then
		unit.hookedForColor = true
		hooksecurefunc(unit.name, "SetVertexColor", ChangeColor)
	end
end)
2 Likes

Is this script only for enemy player nameplate name text? Is there a script or addon that changes every name text to white or yellow and not just players?

The colour changes names for players, NPCs, creatures etc. to white if the are “hostile” to you.

To remove the condition, you can comment out/remove the

if .. end

around

That will make every name white regardless of status/standing (change 1, 1, 1 to 1, 1, 0 for yellow). It won’t differentiate tapped or dead etc. units.

Or, you can add if/elseif statements to make the colour anything you want depending on the contitions.

1 Like

It works, thank you!

1 Like

This worked! Thank you so much, it’s just what I was looking for!

Edit- actually… I hate to ask for more, but is there a way to alter this slightly so that every name appears white, even the neutral mobs? Either way, this was such a huge help, and I really appreciate your time!

Thank you

Modifying the ChangeColor function to the following should make every nameplate’s name text white.

local function ChangeColor(self)
	local unit = self:GetParent().unit
end
1 Like

I can’t thank you enough… this is perfect. :purple_heart:

1 Like