Challenge Mode/Keystone Hero portals should be account-wide

With the future of this game heading toward a truly more account-wide direction (account-wide tracking for achievement credit, account-wide reputations, account-wide loot with warbands, etc.) it’s time to revisit the CM/KSH portal situation.

The Challenge Mode portals from MoP and WoD as well as the Keystone Hero portals that were implemented with timing a +20 dungeon in Legion and beyond should be account-wide, not character specific.

If you want to keep people engaged and have them going after goals, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to wait until the mythic+ season is over for those KSH portals to become account-wide, but the fact that they are still character specific after all these expansions is wild. It would be like not allowing our alts to use rated PVP mounts simply because those alts never obtained a certain rating with a certain number of wins.

Some people change what character they play expansion to expansion or patch to patch, so having CM/KSH portals locked and useless on a different character just feels weird. Granted, the portals in Valdrakken help but there’s still a little bit of flying/legwork, or you get the occasional pug who says their hearthstone is on CD and no one can summon them to Dawn of The Infinites because that place is phased like crazy.

Allowing players to continue to use previously achieved portals they got expansions ago on a character they no longer play allows that achievement (as well as that character) to still remain relevant.

7 Likes

I may be mistaken, but I believe they already stated this was going to be the way in one of their interviews.

The way as in, once unlocked all characters will have the portals.

Edit: Found the source, Starts at 15:06: https://youtu.be/f8zWAPDUTkc?si=STului_2JrelWTqb&t=906

3 Likes

Thank goodness, I missed this one. Hope it still applies to Challenge Mode portals + retroactive m+ portals v. future m+ portals going forward. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes