Celebrating Star Trek's 55th anniversary! September 8 2021

On September 8th, 1966 – 55 years ago to the day – “Star Trek” premiered on NBC-TV in the US.

As many of us here love sci-fi & fantasy, and Star Trek has been a huge part of pop culture, I wanted to make a thread to mark the occasion.

A nice fan tribute I found, made for the show’s 50th anniversary in 2016:

A classic scene from the original series episode, “Return to Tomorrow”:

A medley of theme music from each series and film:

Feel free to share memories, favorite episodes or films, GIFs, ways Star Trek has affected you, anything! Or, hopefully just enjoy some Star Trek videos (above).

Happy anniversary, Star Trek!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PlushSpiffyCod-size_restricted.gif

Peace, and long life.

4 Likes

I recently found out that Morn from Deep Space Nine is a nod to Norm from the TV series Cheers. Deep Space Nine is my favorite of the franchise, though I grew up with the original series.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY STAR TREK!!!

Live long and prosper.
:vulcan_salute:

“It’s green”

2 Likes

I love Morn! But you know… he never shuts up. Jeesh, that guy!

And I love all the shows, but the two you mention are on my menu for this evening.

I plan to watch “Trials and Tribble-ations” to celebrate with.

Live long and prosper, Wildthyme!

(today I learned, there’s an LLAP emoji…! Thanks!)

1 Like

One of my favorite Deep Space Nine moments.

Never underestimate old Klingon warriors. They might be old, but they are wise and their hearts still beat with the call of the warrior.

To Khor! The Daha Master and to his glorious death!

:beer:

1 Like

That is a great clip…!

I love how Martok, initially reluctant to drink on the bridge, is like, “Give me that bottle!!”, just casually chops its neck with his knife, drinks out of the broken end, then passes it around to his crew! Who start singing!

QapLa’!

1 Like

Oh snap I never realized I shared a birthday with such a cool franchise.

2 Likes

That’s awesome!

Cheers and happy birthday, Tovi!

3 Likes

Having been around as long as it has, Star Trek has lost many people over the years.

As the 55th anniversary draws to a close where I am, I wanted to lift a glass to one of our own:

Aron Eisenberg
1969 - 2019

A WoW player from 2004 to 2019, he loved PvP and playing undead.

For all seven seasons of “Deep Space Nine” he portrayed Nog, the first Ferengi in Starfleet.

In “Star Trek Discovery”, they named a ship after him.

Never forgotten, always missed.

Live long, and prosper, all.

2 Likes

Celebrating what came before while looking forward to what comes next…

3 Likes

I know I’m a day late but that’s what you get for being busy. I can’t believe how much DS9 love I’m seeing here, it was easily my favorite show of the franchise. I am however super excited for Strange New Worlds. Its great to see a lot of returning faces through new actors and then new characters. I am stoked that we are getting an Aenar on screen of all things!

I’m looking forward to next year when it comes out. In the mean time I’ll let Lower Decks hold me over.

2 Likes

“Strange New Worlds” looks terrific. I mean, they had me at Anson Mount, but what a nice surprise this trailer is!

Thank you, Mr Veidt :grinning: :vulcan_salute:

2 Likes