Catching up

Hello

So I just kind of dropped into WoW retail and started plugging along but I have a few questions. What the hell is going on right now in this world? I played Warcraft 3 and a bit at launch and Thrall is gone and there’s an elf as warchief, there is lava between thunderbluff and Ogrimmar. I have started watching some lore videos more intently and figuring out what is happening in the world but as a new player having the ability to just que up for dungeons that I have NO idea where in the actual world they exist or why we are fighting in I was hoping there was something I could read up on for how to walk about the game as a new player.

I’ve left all my tutorials on and have made it to the crossroads at the barrens so far.

Thanks for any help or direction on what I was supposed to be doing or looking at.

Ya so unfortunately, the world you are going through now is mostly from Cataclysm, which was the 3rd expansion. They redid the whole world with that expansion so the only place the Old World still exists is in Classic (which you can also play with just a WoW sub.)

If you are super interested in the lore, you need to play Classic first but even then it will be confusing because you’ll then need to level through Retail to get to the expansions)

You are playing a class that did not even exist until the 4th expansion.

I’m sure there is a wiki somewhere that you can find all the major plotpoints. The backstory in this game is a disaster and sadly Blizzard has no plans to fix it. In fact, come the next expansion, levelling from 10 - 50 is supposed to happen in just one of the 8 story/expansions in the game.

Sorry I can’t be of more help.

It’s good thank you for the response. If I kind of truck along with story quests will I be able to piece together a idea of what my race or faction has been doing? Are things like the Lich King no longer available to fight as that was an old expansion? I was hoping to catch up to current content someday before purchasing an expansion.

Or be 2 expansions behind at all times and not actually pay for it.

To got to your race lore you will need to level until you can get to pandaria, level 70 I believe.

You can still fight arthas and ask if the old raid bosses.
Edit: class not race

1 Like

For the most part, the BC and Wrath content is still available. It’s just out of order right now because of the 1-60 revamp in Cataclysm. Once you get to 58, you’ll get a pointer quest to choose between BC and Wrath. (There’s nothing stopping you from doing both besides the fact that you will outlevel them long before you are done.)

There are way way more quests in the game than needed to level. Doing all of them will take a very long time. For the most part, zones will have their own stories to them. They may tie into the bigger picture of an expansion, but are largely self contained. (This is a bit less true for the BC and Wrath zones which are a bit more free-form.) The best way to approach the story is to think of it as a collection of stories that aren’t always in chronological order.

There are 4 main options for people who want to do all the quests. (And you can mix and match between them.)

(1) Do different zones on different characters. This is probably the most popular choice as it’s the most efficient and makes leveling new characters a bit more interesting as you get to see different stuff.

(2) Move on to new expansions when you’re level is ready and go back and blow through the stuff you missed at max level. This has the advantage of letting you do the max level content when it’s current, while filling in the old quests when you have time. (There’s a toy vendor that wanders around Orgrimmar and Stormwind that sells a “Soft Foam Sword” toy which can be used by high level players who will one shot stuff for quests where you don’t want to actually kill the target.)

(3) You can keep questing even after you outlevel an area. You’ll start getting an XP penalty when you hit a zones cap +1. (So, in the 1-60 content, you’ll start getting the penalty at 61.) It’s starts off mild, but rapidly takes the XP down to trivial amounts as you level. This is not efficient, and it will take you a long time. (But if you’re having fun, go for it!) You won’t really overpower stuff until you get a fair bit above it. (For 1-60 content, the late 60s.) After that, most of the quest objectives will start to become trivial, and you’ll also be able to start soloing the dungeons.

(4) Basically, the same as 3, but you lock your XP at the expansion cap levels. There’s an NPC that will let you turn off XP gains for a bit of gold. (You can talk to the same NPC to turn it back on when you’re ready.) So, when you hit 60, you’d lock your XP and then finish up the 1-60 stuff. This has the advantage that stuff won’t get trivial and you can still queue up for dungeons. (Once you outlevel a dungeon, you can’t queue up and can only enter it manually.)

Udiza covered the basics of what you’re seeing. Essentially, there have been a lot of changes in the world since Vanilla released, including the deaths of a number of major NPCs, which could certainly make things confusing for newer players or those returning after a long time. You’re looking at almost 14 years of world story, including one actual world changing expansion (Cataclysm).

As noted, you can still go kill old threats such as the Lich King, as their raid instances are preserved and soloable for higher level players, and you can even play through the quest lines leading up to those fights if you so wish. However the game itself is oriented more so that all players will be more quickly funneled into current content and its related stories.

Ohhh that’s what that guy is for. I was wondering why people would want to not level.

Thank you. I shall make an attempt at 3 probably