Catch-up renown is non-existent after hitting a certain non-cap renown

I swapped covenants to kyrian last week and had to start fresh, renown 1. I did all my campaign quests and weeklies and got a couple of catch-up renown (1 from calling, a couple from normal/heroic boss kills) and got stuck on 14. This reset I did my weeklies, the next chapter of campaign and a world boss kill that got me to 18, while the current renown cap is 24.

However after hitting 18 my renown seems to be stuck. Since hitting 18, I got1 epic bg win, 1 rbg win, all 3 of my callings, 10 normal nathria boss kills and I did 2 heroic dungeons and 1 layer 8 torghast run, all of which gave me exactly 0 renown. Where is this alleged catch-up system?

3 Likes

I’m in the same boat, waiting to catch up to renown 20. I completed my weeklies the first day and was still getting renown from random activities. As soon as I hit 18, the pace slowed way down. I ran tons of dungeons and all lfr content and didn’t get anything. Randomly after a BG I got my 19th renown. But since then doing heroic raid and 2 bosses on mythic, some m+ and even more random BGs, still stuck on 19. This catch up mechanic is a joke. I wish I knew a way to help, and I hope you had success since you posted. If you did let us all know.
EDIT: Just logged on to day and the daily came with a renown point. They need to address the drop rate of these badly. The higher content should give you near 100% chance because being a core part of the story and gameplay and it being completely random is frustrating. so after 3 days of running content to no avail, and getting it now with a daily, feels like I wasted HOURS of gameplay

I’d like to revive this post. My new main can’t get to renown 20+, I’m stuck on 18. Weekly Quests, dungeons, raids, rpvp… Nothing is giving me renown.

And the silence of blizzard about this is disgusting.

The catch-up system is currently working as intended, and this is coming from someone who has caught up on 2 alts. You’re not supposed to catch up in 1 day if that is your goal and additional renown will take time as long as you complete your callings and weekly quests. Swapping covenants is supposed to be easy but not without some challenge and work, otherwise everyone would just switch back and forth. Also, if you’re switching to a covenant you’ve already switched from you will be penalized.

You can read more about the system here:
How To Catch Up on Renown in Shadowlands - Guides - Wowhead

Its been a week and I am halfway. No ones expecting to catch up in a day. I have been doing a ridiculous amount of content. I used an example how another player caught up in a day compared to how long mines taking. The disparity shouldn’t be that huge.

You aren’t guaranteed Renown on any of the things you’ve mentioned. They are only CHANCES. It’s working as intended. Keep doing content and eventually you will catch up.