Catch up for new battlers

So read several of the articles where Blizz has published the pet numbers on majority of players.

Since nearly everyone has over 1500 level 25 rares and at least 80% of those have near 2000 how does a new battler compete or even catch up?

The pet system is primarily a collection game. So in a sense your competing with yourself, how many have I got? how many more do I want to collect? Do I want to collect different breeds or colors? Which ones to level first? That kind of stuff.

The other main activity is to battle pet tamers out in the world. Which is where you go up against npcs. What is his team composition? What do I have/need to counter that? That kind of stuff.

Now as a beginner if you want to pvp pet battle against other players, well your gonna get crushed.

1 Like

I’d love to see a source of this wild claim tbh, sounds like you’re making a lot of stuff up

anyway, your team has only three slots so having 2000 pets seems a bit redundant to me, per your assumption that you need that many to be competitive

1 Like

Source please?
Should be easy if you’ve read these “facts” in “articles where Blizz has published the pet numbers on majority of players.”

By the way, I personally have level 25 rare pets in banker alt’s bags and filling personal guild banks on 20 different realms where i sell them. I wouldn’t know how many, too many to count, but it would be well over 10,000.

PvPing, which I rarely do because I don’t much enjoy it, I still lose as many battles as I win. Having 10,000 pets in guild banks and a full journal is no help there. Only the 3 pets in your team, your skill in choosing and using them and the luck of the draw help in those battles.

PvE pet battles can be done with a much smaller collection than yours, and it’s easy enough to acquire the few pets which would make battling tamers easier.

If you want to level more pets fast, use Sir Galveston in Dalaran today, or wait until Squirt comes back to your garrison. If you want more pets, go and catch them one at a time like we all do.

How to catch up?

First get a “Terrible Turnip” or similar pet. Level it and two others to level 25.

Run around the world and capture battle pets to add to your collection. Look for “Top 20 Battle Pet” lists and level those pets so you have a variety of counters.

Decide whether you want to level all 1201+ to 25. The only way to get to 1500 or even 2000 is to have duplicates. Some people collect different breeds. Others collect different colors. All depends on what you want out of your collection.

i think most of us have 700-1100 actually.

for PvE pet battles: you just start collecting building that collection IS what the pet battle scene is about.

for PvP pet battles. you don’t need 1000+ pets you need 3 good* pets and you need to know how to use them well. But where you do have a legit disadvantage is in knowing what most pets do. experienced battlers know as soon as they see certain pets how there likely to be configured and how to play against them.

*good= with respect to the current xpac/buffs/nerfs

That said; some battles are determined by the pets chosen and you really cant do anything once you see the other team except forfeit and take the loss quickly.

more battles than that are likely mostly determined by the pets chosen so once you see the other team you only have a chance IF the other player plays poorly but you play it out because many pvp pet battlers are bad at it and use the wrong move at the wrong time.

most battles are within range of each other after the initial reveal of what pets your opponent has and its a matter of using your moves well and WATCHING THE SPEED STAT of all pets carefully; knowing when to swap and when NOT to; etc.

TL;DR: your not nearly as behind as you think vs experienced players by having a small collection; but what you likely are behind on is the actual experience / know-how and you get that by playing a lot.

that said IT IS easier if you avoid the PvP scene for the most part until you have ~100+ level 25 blues to play with and have done enough fights to know quite a few pets well.