Cataclysm jewelcrafting?

How do i get the recipes for gems? for both best and 2nd best gems?
for example cardinal rubies vs scarlet rubys? i’m sure there is same system in cata?

Also is there a way to get these new cata gyms besides mining?

It’s basically the same as Wrath, just with new gems, so there’ll be uncommon to start, then rare, then epics unlock later on, I think Alchemy can make them again but don’t quote me there.
Also there are jeweler’s gems in Cata too, Chimera Eyes instead of Dragon Eyes I believe.
But yeah, pretty sure the acquiring of gems is about the same too, mining and prospecting.

Mining/prospecting can give all 3 types? uncommon, rare, epics?

Also, how do i get chimera eyes?

Should be in the JC area in the main city, I only personally know Stormwind, on the north east corner of the entrance ‘island’ and also that’s where the Cata JC Daily is for Alliance.
I know prospecting gives both uncommon and rare, epics likely won’t be til later, basically like how in Wrath, Titanium ore is able to be prospected in around phase 3 for the epic cuts. Either way, no expansion’s had epic gems until a couple phases in.
Chimera Eyes should be much the same as Dragons Eyes if I recall, using tokens from the JC dailies to purchase, there might be another way too but I don’t honestly remember past that. Fortunately this isn’t really new stuff and can likely be looked up online.

All makes sense ty!! what about epic gems? how i get those? ty again!! :slight_smile:

Also for epic/rare recipes, i’m assuming those come from the daily JC quest vendor?

No prob! Also yeah I’m pretty sure the recipes are all going to be from the vendor, using the JC daily tokens, Epics being added later on, as far as getting the epic gems, they’ll probably unlock prospecting on the high ore, like Titanium was for Wrath, I didn’t get that much into Cata last time so I don’t know that exact info yet, either way it’ll be later on.

1 Like

awesome, ty again :slight_smile: <3

As with Wrath, if you’re into min/maxing JC will be stronger as a profession before the phase that introduces epics (I’d guess phase 3 but too lazy to look) because the gap between the Jeweler gems and rares is greater than the gap between Jeweler/epic.

Blacksmith, conversely, becomes stronger because the extra slots for epic gems are worth more stat value than extra slots for rare gems.

If you just profession for enjoyment, then carry on and enjoy!

Pyrite ore is the 3rd ore, like cata equivalent to titanium. Kind of glittery gold in color. Very cool looking. I mostly found it in Twilight Highlands along the river