[Cata] Possible Real ID leak (not real names, battle tags only)

When posting in this forum, please always include:

• Whether you’re playing WoW Classic Era or Season of Discovery or Cataclysm Classic.
  • Any detailed steps you believe should be taken to reproduce the issue.
  • The character name and realm on which you encountered the issue, if it differs from your posting character.

I’ve noticed something recently where if I try to whisper people in my guild and their Real ID matches there character name, the chat box will color the box real ID blue rather than whisper pink.

These people are not my Real ID friends and I cannot manually whisper them. I have to find their unit frame or guild pane item to right click to send a whisper.

Not sure if an addon is responsible (I use ElvUI) or the API the chat box uses to determine what style of message you are sending is returning it as a Real ID, but it is quite annoying.

Messages attempted to send this way do not go through most of the time, but it seemed to go through once, and the recipient had a blank sender.

I can manually type some guildie names and not others. Everyone who has hit this whisper bug that sets it as a Real ID whisper have confirmed that there character name is their battle.net tag. For example, Warriorman is a character in game whose battle.net tag is Warriorman#1234. Attempting to type "/t Warriorman " will set up a Real ID whisper prompt indicated by the blue chat box and most of the time, the message will fail to deliver.

As in the title, I believe this would only occur for battle tag variants of the real ID, mostly because you cannot include spaces in names. It also doesnt reveal the tag number, So my whisper chat would only be with Warriorman, not Warriorman#1234.

Please fix so i can manually whisper people and also prevent people from figuring out my battle.net tag unless I want them to know it :slight_smile: