Casual PVPers get NO weekly Vault gear

The PVP rewards of the weekly vault are now unlocked by honor earned only from rated PVP, instead of Conquest earned from anywhere. The ceiling for casual gear has just been dropped again, 4 days before release. To unlock a choice of vault gear you will need to participate in rated PVP.

This is a massive change as on Beta you could unlock a choice of ilvl 200 conquest gear from the weekly Great Vault through earning conquest pts from BGs, meaning you would earn at least 1 choice of 200 ilvl (normal raid ilvl) gear per week from the first week.

What this means is that BG players will be stuck with honor gear alone.

As a reminder: honor ilvl upgrades are being timegated to not allow upgrades beyond heroic dungeon ilvl until week 3 or 4, up to LFR ilvl, and potentially and totally unconfirmed by Blizz but tested on Beta - upgradeable to 197 (still below normal raid ilvl) after week 8.

ā€¦ whereas in BFA we had access to HEROIC ilvl gear by just earning conquest points through BGs.

From wowhead:

Great Vault PvP Reward Requirements Changed

This is how the Great Vault PvP Rewards Requirements have changed.

• Earn 1250 Honor Points in Rated PvP

• Earn 2500 Honor Points in Rated PvP

• Earn 6250 Honor Points in Rated PvP

Honor Gains from Rated PvP

On a fresh character on the Shadowlands Beta, you currently get:

• 200 Honor from 2s Wins

• 250 Honor from 3s Wins

• 850 Honor for Rated BG Wins

Though these values are probably higher due to them being a first win bonus.

69 Likes

This change is hard for me for the fact i no longer do rated PvP . I spam bgs, epics and brawls all day so i am not casual. So as i take it i wont have any chest to open at the end of the week :frowning:

34 Likes

For people who do rated even semi regularly this wouldnā€™t have ever been noticed - but for people who play casual pvp and donā€™t do anything hard core this is going to hurt them immensely. Terrible decision, this on top of how the honor gear upgrades are going to be time gated and I have to wonder why any of this gets the greenlight.

66 Likes

Geez, and I thought BfA was still going to be the worst PVP gearing system the game has ever seen. Looks like a new low.

I really hope I am wrong.

Cries in WoD Gearā€¦

41 Likes

And people who think they are going to gear up for rated and arena through pvp are in for a big let down.

16 Likes

Seems like another decision based on making PVP gear fit into PVE progression.

If only they would stop this mess and realize it was so much better when PVP and PVE had differentiated gear and progression.

PVP gearing will forever suffer as long as PVE and PVP gear are equivalent. All the worst expansions for PVP gear are the ones where ā€œgear is gearā€.

29 Likes

What the Freaking hell Blizz!? This is insane!

Are you really going to make regular BG completely useless with no chance of reward at all?

GD I hope this is a bug or a typo or something like that.

Unbelievable.

27 Likes

Its a two way street though for the last two expansions bis for pve has had items (trinkets) for many classes from pvp going into the raid tier

How does not allowing pvperā€™s to gear efficiently through pvp equate to pve people having to pvp for a couple trinkets?

18 Likes

You must be joking! Have you seen how much traffic there is on the PVE to PVP street?

How many PVE slots were either BiS or faster to obtain or only obtainable via PVP? My guess is a max of 3, but more like one essence that you could get by doing random BGs.

Now guess how many PVP slots were easier, BIS and/or only obtainable in PVE? More like all except 1 or 2.

16 Likes

That makes no sense at all and has nothing to do with this.

We dont care about your mob hallways and your memorized dance routines.

Most of us donā€™t care about boring, one dimensional, deathmatch PvP either.

We just want to play our BG and be able to earn relatively decent gear in the gameplay we enjoy.

This is terrible, terrible.

Edit: 12/15ā€¦ Now, seeing how easy it is is for casuals to get CP cap from casual play every week, I am a lot less concerned. I can grind out CP gear and I can upgrade it to a point where itā€™s competitive with the best gear. That once a week piece from the vault isnā€™t that huge of a deal.

Iā€™m still disappointed we cant get at least one choice from casual PvP, with choices 2 and 3 from rated but whatever. Iā€™m OK enough with what we have now, Itā€™s the best itā€™s been in a while.

The fact that the PvE crowd is complaining that itā€™s ā€˜too easyā€™ and they are being ā€˜forced to PvPā€™ to get gear says a lot about how good our new system is. I just hope their tears donā€™t screw up our systems.

51 Likes

This is definitely pretty silly for them to do. Not only is it bad for casuals, but itā€™s going to take even longer for people doing arena to cap too. Nobody wins with this.

Wouldnā€™t be surprised if they remove conquest from unrated altogether, removing the ability for casuals to use the vendor too. Seems to be the direction they are headed for whatever reason. Too bad they ignore the lessons the old devs learned.

15 Likes

If there isnā€™t going to be scaling in PvP anymore, then they need to go back to the old way where unrated PvP gear could scale up w/enough time and effort to a strong ilvl. Itā€™s good for the health of the PvP scene.

Even in BFA you could get heroic raid level gear from unrated and in 8.3 you could grind out your resources for 470 profession gear.

And let unrated PvPers get something from the vault. It gives them something to look forward to with the weekly resets.

8 Likes

It sucks for you guys that donā€™t do any rated. It may not be a bad time to check out the lfg tab and look under rated battlegrounds for groups labeled as ā€œyoloā€ or ā€œchill low mmrā€ or ā€œcapā€. Games within these type of groups are almost exact replicas of just queuing random bgs. The only difference is everyone there is trying a little more compared to randoms.

9 Likes

PVE is the way to go again.

It was true before this but even more so right now.

:surfing_woman:t2: :surfing_man:t2:

7 Likes

Cool, this means a third expansion in a row where PvP is irrelevant to me.

The devs have a huge hate for casual PvP.

19 Likes

This is a really weird change. I will be disappointed if this stays.

7 Likes

Yeah gear is just gear concept really sucks for casual PvP. Thereā€™s a huge part of players who play the game just for random BGs. Itā€™s a flexible content for a friend or two. This content, although being seemingly at the lowest tier, like LFR, has actually quite dynamic difficultly due the nature of PvP. It actually becomes harder as the time passes. They donā€™t understand that.

My gripe with Legion templates was that it eliminated the gear aspect completely, and I thought it was bad for a game like WoW. But now actually I think maybe it wasnā€™t such a bad idea at all, if they donā€™t want true separate PvP gear.

Rated, even yolo, is a different game. People still look at meta, some specs are still not accepted, it takes time to form, people drop mid game, itā€™s a mess. The only reason why I play PvP is because I can queue anytime anywhere. Also personally I havenā€™t really seen any yolos on Alliance side at all recently.

All in all, very disappointed with this aspect of the new expansion. Really thinking of not buying Shadowlands and canceling my subscription.

19 Likes

If there are no groups then simply start one. I promise it fills quick. I did this on alliance s1 of bfa during dead hours (7-8am CST). I would get 20-30 people sign up within a minute or two.

3 Likes

Probably just gunna skip Season 1 altogether.

4 Likes