/castsequence & @player

I’m trying to make a macro on an Unholy Death Knight that would drop D&D (Defile, in this case) on my character (IE: @player) and go on to use Scourge Strike a few times.

#showtooltip
/startattack
/castsequence [spec:3,mod,@player]reset=6 Death and Decay,Scourge Strike,Scourge Strike

This is what I’ve tried, but it thinks I want my character to hit himself with Scourge Strike. Which would be funny, but is of course impossible.

My next iteration looked like this:

#showtooltip
/startattack
/castsequence [spec:3,mod,@player][spec:3,mod]reset=6 Death and Decay,Scourge Strike,Scourge Strike

I figured that the macro system would be smart enough to know that it should move on to the second set of conditions, when the first could not be fulfilled, due to the nature of the ability…

Any thoughts on how I could accomplish my macro goal here?

EDIT

/castsequence [spec:3,mod,@player,help][spec:3,mod,harm]reset=8 Death and Decay,Scourge Strike,Scourge Strike,Scourge Strike

Doesn’t work either… Seems like there must be something obvious I’m not seeing here.

The conditions on a cast sequence apply to the whole sequence. You can’t use different conditions for different spells in the same sequence.

You can either switch to @cursor which the ground targeting spell will use and the unit targeting spells will ignore. But that means you have to be careful of where your mouse cursor is when you use it since that’s the place where the spell will go

#showtooltip
/castsequence [@cursor]reset=6 Death and Decay,Scourge Strike,Scourge Strike

or you can stop using castsequence

#showtooltip
/cast [mod,@player]Death and Decay;Scourge Strike

Honestly I wouldn’t generally recommend castsequence. You exchange effectiveness for convenience by using it

1 Like

I appreciate your advice, Tinkerrific. For some reason I find it super cringey to use my mouse as anything more than a steering wheel / gas peddle, while in combat…

So, the ‘top-layer’ of that macro used Festering Strike… It looks like:

#showtooltip

/click BT4Button29

/castsequence [spec:3,nomod]reset=2 Festering Strike,Festering Strike,Soul Reaper

/use [spec:3,mod,@player]Death and Decay;[spec:2,talent:4/3,mod]Frostscythe;[spec:2,mod]Obliterate;[spec:1,mod,@player]Death and Decay;[spec:3]X;[spec:2]Obliterate;[spec:1]Marrowrend

I specifically wanted Scourge Strike on the bottom layer, to help myself resist the urge to burn that one-last rune, for the sake of burning it… You know what I mean? If I have to hit a mod key to access the ability, I’m more likely to do it decisively.

I just moved it further down the bar…

I realize this probably seems extremely convoluted…but I have this basic ‘ability layout’ that I use across all toons. And with all the homogenization…that’s surprising easy to do, in most cases. I can’t handle my Warrior playing like a piano, my Rogue playing like a violin, and my DK playing like a kazoo…figuratively speaking.

Right now I’m scratching my head over this one (same DK):

/castsequence [spec:3,mod,@pet]reset=20 !Huddle,Concentrated Flame,Concentrated Flame

The huddle works… Which, given the “@pet” in there, surprises me a little. But the Concentrated Flame still thinks it should be looking for an enemy to roast. This is to WA Aggramar’s Flame Rend.

P.S.

I do like “/castsequence” as a WA to those abilities which are direct attacks, but have a stupidly long CD; for an ability meant to be fit into the directly damaging aspect of a rotation/priority. (see above macro for an example of this) That way they kind of ‘come to the surface’ regularly. And if it’s dialed-in well, it works great!

On my Warrior, Siegebreaker and Skullsplitter are examples. I know we’re sort of meant to lead with those but…no F-ing way am I leading with an attack that suffers from a 20-30 sec CD. Actionbar Realestate is at a premium!

Is that belligerent of me? Yes. Is that bad design on Blizzards part? YES! lol

Could try Heart Essence rather than Concentrated Flame

This still doesn’t seem to see the ghoul pet, via “@pet”, as a potential target. And I know that the ghoul pet is a valid target, because it will let me use this ability directly out of the book, on the ghoul. I would have thought, based on my initial issue with “/castsequence” & “@player”, that this latter macro would trip-up in the opposite way.

Try this:

#showtooltip
/castsequence [btn:1,spec:1,@player] reset=target/10 Death and Decay,Rune Tap; [btn:1,spec:2,@player] reset=10 Death and Decay,Remorseless Winter; [btn:1,spec:3,@player] reset=10 Death and Decay,Dark Transformation;Death and Decay

So the way this works for me is if I am in

Blood - it will drop DnD at my feet then Rune Tap

Frost - DnD then Remorsless Winter

Unholy - DnD then Dark Transformation

On right click it will allow you to Drop DnD where you want.

After each spec their is a reset

some spells for all specs will not cast @player - meaning they need to have a non-friendly target and cannot be cast upon yourself

I learned this while trying to make macros for demonhunter.