Case Fans! What do you use?

What are your favorite picks among the various brands and types of case fans?

Those with air cooled CPU’s, do you use whatever stock fan came with your cooler or do you upgrade?

Do you prefer using a specific fan type depending on its use; i.e., intake/exhaust, or CPU cooling? If so, what are your preferences?

1 Like

I had never put in any effort into changing out case fans and just stuck to what comes with a case… unless they fail and I have no choice :sweat_smile:.

As for the CPU, I always upgrade from stock. I casually OC and I do things that utilize my CPU close to 100%.

I currently use the Noctua NH-D15 for my 5900x. Due to my ignorance of AIO coolers at the time, I bought it not realizing the case that I bought alongside with it had a place for a 360mm. Maybe when I upgrade my CPU again one day…

1 Like

I usually replace the crappy 3 pin 120mm case fans with Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM.

They’re cheap, effective and most importantly, quiet.

In through the front, out through the back. I’ll use a bigger fan on top to suck in more cool air if I need to.

1 Like

Fractal Meshify with dark glass panel, Phantek TC14PE cooler and 3 case fans from Noctua.

Was using a 360 water cooler but swapped it out when I got a 6750xt.

1 Like

I use Noctua (fans and cooler) mainly for their lack of noise, build quality, and goody bag. That said realize all the companies you buy fans from as just brands. They make slight changes to OEM fans for patent protection and marketing, not performance. Some brands like Noctua are far more hands on in design and manufacturing than others. The reality is that $15 fan from CM or Thermaltake is no different than the $8 fan on Ali Express from Delta, Globe, or Huang Hue and can very well be made by them (or the exact same fan). FYI, the vast majority of the PC industry works like that. Wi-FI adapters, RAM, power supplies, monitors, are rarely made by the company that selling them. Brands are still important, they handle the front end of the business (warranty, sales, marketing) and some are more hands on than others.

1 Like

if you don’t mind the color, the Noctua S12B make good and cheap case fans for $15

2 Likes

I would take that cooler over most AIO’s. Less noise and if the fans ever stop the heatsink still can cool the CPU. You may get slightly higher temps but not a real world difference.

3 Likes

Be-Quiet and Noctua are my go to. They just seem to be the quieter ones at around 1k RPM and not too bad even at higher RPMs. No whines.

The Noctua A12x25 are definitely worth the premium if you really care for noise. Haven’t personally used the new Silent Wings 4 Pro so I can’t speak for those.

Currently setup is Noctua a12x15 (slim 120mmfan) limitation of the case height, and Noctua a12x25 for exhaust ontop.

3 Likes

I use Noctua S12 but in all honesty like Xelphina stated you can use “what comes with the case” unless the noise bothers you. I’m a noise freak so hence the S12.

Yes, if you really need to “upgrade” to a particular fan you should probably get the cooler that comes with it.

For CPU and radiator you want a max pressure fan and for case you want a max airflow fan. What happens if you do the opposite? A small dip in temps. Use the fans that came with your case and cooler, you will be fine. Make sure your case has proper air flow, cooler air comes in one direction and warm air properly goes out in another direction. If you have two roof slots and an air cooler, keep the top front open so the air cooler can pull in air. Don’t have fans fighting each other, more fans does not equal better cooling all the time.

1 Like

That’s good know. Now I don’t feel as bad about it. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

That thing looks like such a monster it intimidates me. I’d be afraid it would break lose from the board and bust through the case and go on a crime spree.

1 Like

have no fear, their mounting system is easy to set up and excellent

you also have The Noctua U12A (own it) and U14s that offer close to D15 performance as well as the U12s (own that as well) which can handle mid range CPUs.

Deepcool also offers some quality units for your dollar as well so you can look there for air coolers.

1 Like

3 x 120mm intake in front
1 x 120mm exhaust in back
1 x 140mm exhaust on top

all corsair because… case is corsair

2 Likes

There is only one answer here.

Noctua

1 Like

You aren’t wrong. This company impresses me a little more with every product of theirs I buy. They really are all around next level.

Surprised no one here are using the Phantek T30. They’re probably the best on the market in terms of noise/performance but are 30mm instead of the regular 25mm heights.

1 Like