Can't win a single pet battle

Hello everyone. I a new WoW player and in need of help.

I started playing the game recently and received the Anima Wyrmling pet. I then started the “learning the ropes” quest, which requires a pet battle win. I proceeded to face all kinds of pet battles, all to the same result:

• My pet has around 150 health and takes about 30 damage per turn, from whatever pet I face, even the small ones like rats or bunnies.

• I can only hit for 6 damage, the first ability that Anima Wyrmling has available.

• The pets I face have more than 100 health.

In summary, my pet is usually down in a few rounds. And the pet I was facing only got a few hits in, nothing close to killing it.

What am I doing wrong?

I can’t find anything that I could beat at all…

Put simply, the Anima Wyrmling just isn’t really very impressive offensively - It’s more of a support pet (amp magic + portal into a big move is a neat combo). It’s weak offensive moveset is super apparent at low levels unfortunately, Siphon life sucks as your only move.

Your best bet would honestly be just trying to complete the quests with a different pet

I don’t have a different pet. How do I get another one without battling one?

There are vendors who sell pets, or the auction house. Not all pets on the AH are expensive. I know the Winter’s Helpers generally for a 1g or so on my server. Just sort the tab by price low to high and see what you can get. Just remember: I don’t think you can use bought level 25s until you’ve gotten your first pet to 25 through leveling or a stone.

As Amyita pointed out, you can’t add a purchased pet to your collection if it’s a higher level than pets you already have. So you’re looking for a level 1.

I’d recommend buying a Cornish Rex Cat from vendor in Elwynn Forest, costs under 50 silver. She’s in a cottage halfway between Northshire and Goldshire, near the road. The Cornish Rex is a great fighter.

You might want to pick up at least one of the other cats she sells cheap so you can field a 3-pet team. Once you’re able to battle wild pets, can start leveling your Wrymling by starting off with it, then swapping to a more powerful pet to finish off the fight.

5 Likes

Thank you all! That did it. I bought myself a new pet and was finally able to complete the quest. I now have a level 5 rabbit!

Thank you once again.

15 Likes

I’m watching the growth of your collection with delight. You’re really working at this.
Remember to pick up the quest from Audrey Burnhep in Stormwind - under a tree over toward the big balloon - to battle pet tamers. You can do the 2 closest to Storming with your pets.

I’m hoping you’d like some more pets as I’ve been collecting a few for you. They’re leveled to 5 or 6 and made rare. I’m about to make a toon on your realm so I can post them to you.

6 Likes

Anyone else feel a momentary wave of pride that this game is still churning out new players? I know I did.

6 Likes

Wait… You’re a new player and you have Cinder pup, Albatross Hatchling, Lost Netherpup, Lil Bling, rare Macabre, Sunfur Panda??! I wonder how much did you spent on the AH…

Btw, great choice.

I am also a new player and just got the quest. I have a couple of pets from game purchases, and just got the little golden Dragon one - can’t win a fight, and am not sure if I am doing it right… Do I tell the pet to attack the mob I am targeted on? They are level13, and me and little dragon are getting our butts kicked… Should I find an Auction house and buy something? I am level 20, so really don’t have alot of cash yet… but I am trying!! :smile:

2 Likes

No point in buying pets on auction yet; you cannot learn any pet of a higher level than what you already have in your journal.

As you have your golden dragonhawk hatchling I guess you have visited Varzok in Orgrimmar and learnt the pet battle ability.

If you want to buy pets, first get the cheap vendor pets - dragonhawk hatchlings from the blood elf starting area, cats from Elwynn Forest and moths from Exodar. Just get an alliance toon to level 10, and they can buy the alliance pets for a few silver each. Get someone to put down a Blingtron for you and vend what you get. Most days you’ll get at least a few gold that way.

Battle all the level 1 and 2 pets you can find, catching one of each type, getting higher level pets as your pets level. Catch rare (blue quality) pets when you can.

Have fun. You’ll find pet battling is a pleasant change to questing, and along with herbing and mining is a great help to leveling.

1 Like

Try fighting pets around Silvermoon, or any of the other Horde capitals first. They’ll be in your level range, 1-3. As your pets get higher you can then move on to starter zones. If you open up your zone maps, you should see the level of the battle pets in that zone listed at the top.

1 Like

I had this experience as well, decided pet battles are probably the stupidest thing I could waste my time doing, and never bothered to go back to them. From what i saw, they’re not fun at all, they’re basically a mobile game, and not a fun one.

That’s your take. For a whole lot of us, pet battles lot more enjoyable than the run around and hit keys fast sort of thing that the kiddies love.

3 Likes

Why exactly are you in this forum?
You know, the one titled “pet battles”.

4 Likes

The way these forums work, if you’re browsing one step up the tree (like, in the “gameplay” cateogry) you see all the sub forums. I was browsing the gameplay category. I hoped to see something i missed in this thread, but in fact it was just the same dead old nonsense. Pet battles are terrible.

That’s nice dear. Thanks for letting us know.

Now have your teddy bear bickie and a glass of milk and go out and have a nice little play in the sun while the grown-ups talk.

2 Likes

These forums are for all opinions, not just the ones that agree with you.

Yes, of course they are.
And how you express those opinions tends to be indicative of your level of maturity.

1 Like