Can't use edit mode

I got this bug ~ and its been going on for awhile, to the point where sometimes it causes frame lags during raid. I’m getting Your Addons are experiencing a large number of errors with no addons installed. I had to install an addon just to see the lua issue (and the Blizzard UI instantly swapped to straight blaming the addon I installed, but, I still got the lua error at least)

Googling it, I found the post above.

I guess some dude in the EU is having the same issue. I don’t know why the EU and US forums are segregated. I guess its to prevent cooties contaminations, as long as the forums are separate, but equal, I guess its okay.

If I figure out the cause, I guess I’ll post it back here. I wish I could have been playing the game for the last hour. Glad this doesn’t cost money every month.

I do love the new UI though, sucks is so buggy and missing so many features, but, it is nice not to have to maintain so many external addons to play the game.

1 Like

Whelp, it took me longer to type up that post than it did to figure out a workaround. After I employed my reading skills. I saw that its trying to call all the on screen frames for “Magnetic” “Eligibility” – I guess, magnets, the powerhouse of the cell – so, I just turned off “Snap to Elements” and it works now. I mean… I don’t have UI snapping elements anymore, but, I can move stuff again, and my LUA errors seem to have stopped (looks like it used to produce an error every frame!)

I suspect its the Archeology frame that is missing, since I can’t find it anywhere. I wonder if I go to a zone that has Archeology if the error goes away?

1 Like

That was it, the archeology bar is bugged af.

Apparently it disappears unless you’re using a prefabbed UI layout. You can use a /run command to get it back, but, as soon as you perform any actions, its excommunicado again, bringing back all the funtime lua experiences. Great story telling. 9/10 - will play again because I’m not an addict.

I suggest moving this to bug forums where teh QA team can look at it and id edit out the last part of the first line in ur last post masked language isnt allowed.

1 Like

Did you ever have add-ons installed? If so I’d highly recommend doing a full UI reset
It’s reversible if it doesn’t seem to fix anything. If you had add-ons they could have very easily left some sort of info behind or corrupted something. Just uninstalling them wouldn’t fix the problem.

I have never had any issues using the edit mode, nearby archaeology or not.

1 Like

I’ll try this later today after work.

I wonder what an “addon” leaves behind. I’ve definitely been in guilds that have required DBM or Big Wigs and before the new UI in Dragonflight, I used to run ElvUI ~ but ~ I would have thought those problems would have been more “immediate” (like, when Dragonflight first came out, these problems weren’t there)?

I like random “quotes”.

The game has changed quite a bit since Dragonflight launched, especially edit mode! If you had ElvUI installed then but uninstalled it, old files could very much still be around. And then they could have broken when an update came around.

Files can become corrupt for any reason really. A UI reset gets rid of all the stuff and sets the game to a default state. Just make sure you made copies or renamed the folders listed in the article so you can reverse it if the reset doesn’t fix the problem.

1 Like

Unfortunately I had to work overtime yesterday, didn’t get time to try this, but, it still bugs me. I’m so curious what could cause the issue - I was thinking - CVAR settings!?

And I can confirm the digSites CVAR is not responsible. (Sadly, I’m gonna make this way harder on myself than I need to)

Weirdly, now I was also wondering, if I reinstalled ElvUI – then – would that fix the issue?
Then I would want to figure out, what is ElvUI overriding? I would think that Blizz GUI Code would have its own special “addons no touch” folder.

It does and it doesn’t but because 3rd party addons can interact with the Blizzard UI “in-game” then any changes would be reflected wherever Blizz. stored the information.

Just re-installing Elv. would use whatever setting were saved before so unless Elv. has a “reset” button then that won’t work.

You could search the WTF folder for anything starting with “edit-mode” and rename those files (make an extra copy somewhere) and the start up the game which “should” create new empty files and default Edit Mode settings. You can exit the game and copy the old files back if that doesn’t work.

Don’t underestimate the weirdness that a bit of corruption can cause. The UI reset really is the best way to clear that stuff out. I once had an issue where I think a cache file kept telling the game my resolution was 0, which caused some minor (but weird) glitches. I also once managed to corrupt my UI badly enough trying to get away with some out of date unit frames that I got disconnected from all the errors that were getting thrown — and that was after I deleted the offending addon.

Fixed it!

(Unsure how to post pictures in here)

But, the bug with the archeology bar is a problem, but also a red herring here (its causing a separate issue I managed to find, but, a much less annoying one).

Magnetic states can be retained between elements that you can set up with Advanced Mode on. Then with advanced mode off, sometimes you can modify an item’s position (when its locked to another item that is only visible with advanced mode on). with the advanced mode off.

Then you end up with the bug!

(Not sure how I missed this before) I was able to turn on the Duration Bars, which then I saw snap the Loot Window across the screen. And the bug is now gone. They were magnetically attached the whole time, but, they got moved to opposite sides of the screen (now, just got to figure out which sequence of steps allows for this, since, when I tried to break it again right after, it refused to break).

1 Like

Whoa, that is crazy weird sounding.