Cant Draka and Kael'thas and Alexandros just walk back?

We see plenty of Revendreth and Maldraxxus beings in Oribos, so we know they can go there. Couldn’t Draka, Kael’Thas and Alexandros all just, go there, and walk through the portal we set up to SW/ORG and just come back to the world of the living?

(At least temporarily, to settle life issues and talk with family and their people).

Draka says she has no idea what became of her son(despite him being in the same room as her when she says that) and as for Morgraine his son does chat with him at times after we rescue him.

All the dead can just walk through the Portal into Azeroth. Of course Azeroth is the only place most dead can visit as the other Planets are only visitable by Kyrians and Maldraxxi through their usual methods.

The initial destinations of the Shadowlands are where the start of a Soul’s journey begins after initial death. Morgraine was given permission to rest in Bastion whenever he was weary so Souls sent to Maldraxxus who have proven themselves to the Kyrian can be allowed to use Bastion as a home away from home.

A portal to Azeroth means that Souls from Azeroth, Draenor and Argus can settle unfinished business and live once again.

Souls from outside of Azeroth, Draenor and Argus would probably move into those realms out of curiosity which is not exactly forbidden by the laws of the Shadowlands…

2 Likes

If I was to just throw out a guess, I’d say they can, but they would eventually (quickly?) fade away. Just as mages draw Arcane from Ley lines, and Warlocks draw from the Twisting Nether and so on, the practice of any magic requires the practitioner to draw from a source of which ever of the six fundamental magics are used.

Maybe you just can’t get a good flow rate of Death/Anima to fuel such high level necromancy outside of the Shadowlands? Each of the six magics has a source, and you can’t fuel the magic if you’re cut off from it. I guess we’ve seen necromancy in the physical world, but maybe the “perfect necromancy” of the Shadowlands takes an obscene current of Death magic to keep it going or something, and you can’t sustain it unless you’re inside the realm itself.

4 Likes

Sounds like an excuse from the Players(as we have no official word from Blizzard on the matter) to keep beings of the Shadowlands from following the well known Trope of Death is Cheap.

I’m not sure that souls in Revendreth can travel to other realms like it seems that the Maldraxxi can. It may be that souls don’t maintain their forms well outside the Shadowlands, or that they would appear as ghosts. I figure there must be some reason that the dead aren’t streaming through the portals in Oribos, right?

Beyond that, as mentioned Draka doesn’t currently know about Thrall’s fate (because evidently we couldn’t be bothered to tell her after we rescued him from the Maw), and even if she did, Thrall is currently in Oribos. Many of the orcs that she knew are also dead. Alexandros doesn’t have any “living” relatives left that we know of aside from Darion (and maybe Whitemane, if you want to count her as a daughter-in-law), and Darion is currently spending plenty of time in Oribos already as part of his duties with the Ebon Blade. Even most of Alexandros’ old paladin and priest colleagues have died in the years since his own death (Tirion, all the different Scarlet Crusade leaders), so unless he’s really itching to have a chat with Tyrosus there’s not many people on Azeroth left from that part of his life.

This is my assumption as well: The Dead need anima to survive. And the physical world doesn’t produce anima. So they’d just starve.

I’m still hoping though that at the end of the expansion, the Covenants give some of these characters physical bodies, so they can serve as emissaries to Azeroth.

There is the fact that Blizzard is probably not that focused on updating Stormwind and Orgrimmar to show the Dead being present until the Expansion is over(Ion did say there would be changes when we got back from the Shadowlands).

Maybe that’s why people like Draka are needed: a quick assassin that can do some work outside of the Shadowlands (like that Legion world), but quickly and without prolonged combat so they can get in and out in minutes.

1 Like

I assume it’s longer than minutes. If the Revendreth cinematic is anything to go by, I assume anima deprivation is literally the equivalent of going hungry/thirsty.

The Souls that take the form of Animals in Ardenweald generate Anima on their own and can regenerate it after giving some away according to a Tirnenn called Warden Casad.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Recovering_the_Heart#Notes

Use anima

Te’zan says: You want my anima? Why can’t the ancient tirnenn do it?

Warden Casad says: Darkness encroaches. Starlight shines in our defense.

Warden Casad says: Anima given shall return in time.

Maldraxxi, Kyrian, Ardenweald Souls and Venthyr have Mortal Souls that generate Anima so they won’t starve out in the Mortal Plane as they will continue to generate any Anima they need.

Furthermore Mortal Souls(as opposed to Souls shoved into Wildseeds) never need Anima in the first place as the Souls of Sinners cast in the Maw are completely drained of Anima first before being thrown in! Souls I repeat don’t need Anima!

Only native Races of the Shadowlands like Stewards, Dredgers, Stoneborn and Night Fae would probably be dependent on Anima!

1 Like

This whole thread presumes that they’d want to.

Is it really so hard to believe that they simply have no reason to go back at the moment? Mograine and Draka are both deeply committed to restoring Maldraxxus - and the people they’d most want to meet with (their respective sons) are in Oribos!

Kael’thas is committed to hunting Kel’thuzad, and in any case, the Accusor seems to have him on a pretty short leash.

It’s entirely possibly that they totally could go back and just don’t have a good reason to.

2 Likes

Yah for the most part the residents of the shadowlands don’t really have a vested interest in returning to the mortal planes, only one I’d see trying would indeed be Kael but as you said he’s on a short leash. But if he did return he would probably return to Silverman and be brought to tears by seeing the sunwell reborn and his people recovering well.

1 Like

Well, yah. He specifically said it was a guess.

Blizzard hasn’t told us anything. It is logical to assume Blizzard will eventually give some explanation why that can’t return. It might be a good one or it might be a bad one. For now we logically should assume there is some limitation, but we can only guess what it is.

For the current situation:

In addition to the noted points why there is little reason those specific individuals would want to there are reasons for them to not return to Azeroth.

Specifically the current crisis. People from Azeroth are specifically coming to the Shadowlands to help because that is where the emergency is. The current fight is in the Shadowlands. Returning to Azeroth would not help solve that.

1 Like

I think that the dead could travel to Azeroth via the portals in Oribos.

I don’t think we’ll see it anytime soon because the situation in the Shadowlands is too dire for anyone to really leave. The Kyrians are maintaining business as usual, for example, or at least as much as is possible given Forsworn interference. Maldraxxus is in a state of Civil War. Maybe Draka wants to go to Azeroth to find out what became of her son, but she has a duty to the Shadowlands. Revendreth is in a state of upheaval with those loyal to Denathrius still causing trouble, and the anima crisis meaning every Covenant is in dire need of Anima, and Revendreth is the best place to source it. Ardenweald is collapsing with the Night Fae forced to use Triage to save as many Wild Gods as possible.

Should things stabilize somehow, I could see denizens of the Shadowlands going to Azeroth. The Night Fae are inherently curious, and I imagine the theatrical play about Azeroth would make more than a few quite interested in seeing the world for themselves. I could easily see Theotar being a tourist. Honestly, I’d pay for the next lore book to be written from the perspective of Theotar touring Kalimdor.

“Ah, Orgrimmar! A little bright for my tastes, but so lively! The people of this city are hardy and bold, and not easily given to despair or defeat. The city itself is charmingly rustic, and most endearing, yes! Why, I would go so far as to say I could see myself visiting more in the future! They have a delightful place they call the Cleft of Shadow. What this city needs is a tea parlor, and I would be most happy to supply the good people of Orgrimmar with tea in the Cleft of Shadow! Tubbins and Grubbins absolutely adore it.”

“As I traveled through this, ‘Dustwallow Marsh,’ on my way to visit the remains of a fallen city called Theramore, I could not help but to compare it to Revendreth’s own Endmire. Tubbins and Grubbins felt the same, and used several infused rubies to light our way, although I am not thinking it was quite necessary. Theramore itself was a wonder to behold! My, the swirling colors, so bright and vibrant, underscoring the sadness of the destruction that befell this place. Alas, death is as inevitable as sin, but that is why the Sire made us. Perhaps some Sinful souls yet remain? There was a promising little hovel we passed called the Swamplight Manor. How quaint that the humans who dwelt here referred to it as a manor. So very droll.”

“When I first entered Ashenvale, for a moment I thought I had somehow found myself in Ardenweald! How truly remarkable, I thought, to find a forest in the mortal plane so similar to our own forest of eternal winter. I cannot say the natives there were particularly welcoming, however. Why, one brazen cur shot at me! Me! Her arrows pierced my finest parasol! These Night Elves are most uncouth, and I shall make sure to register a complaint with their superiors. They seemed to think I was invading. The nerve! I produced the parchment stating I was an invited guest on a tour of these lands. As if I, Duke Theotar, would ever stoop so low as to set foot somewhere without invitation! I was so cross I didn’t even invite them to tea. That will show them!”

3 Likes

Ehm Draka isnt at Oribos. She is there Pre- 60 stuff And thrall is there post lvling.

I do kinda wish they would have replaced Draka with Doomhammer maybe, coz I feel like it would be a better pairing, I wouldnt mind seeing Draka in a later patch, though.

My guess is that, because these are souls formed from anima and not material-realm matter, if they went through the portals (if they’re even capable and don’t just get blocked) they’d probably just be fetterless spirits on the Azeroth side and exist in that “in-between” space that we go to when we die on Azeroth, where Kyrians hang out.

And without fetters to bind them to Azeroth, they’d swiftly get yoinked into the realms of death again. Such is my guess.

LOL Kael’thas cannot do a thing without the Accuser’s permission. He tried a couple of times and she shackled him so fast, he didn’t have time for snark. But he made time later. “This place is in shambles. You seek to humiliate me!” I love watching them together.

Why not both? Give Thrall a slap in the face from his old friend and mentor as well as his mother, that’ll set him straight.