Can't compete any more in M+ (fire)

Not sure what I am doing wrong, but running 20s and over I often am below 250 million. I generally do better on boss fights, but am still getting steamrolled by other classes- especially rets who I know are FOTM but WWs and Fury warriors are crushing meters while I am spamming Flamstrikes with 40% haste and can’t keep up even on fort weeks. Often this is because I get 1 shot by a fortified mechanic (swell TotT) but I general I just feel so much weaker compared to last patch

I think that’s mostly a tuning issue.

Blizzard has this idea of melee having upfront burst (most) with cyclical patterns and casters ramping into damage and sustaining it. Fire is sort of the bursty cyclical type but has quite some ramp.

Ofc their are differences but overall i think that’s a true statement.

The tuning issue now is that 20s are to low for casters to play. Especially this late in the saison.

Blizzard needs to buff mob health by 30% and nerf their damage by 30% (or what ever number).

Looking at MDI, I feel strengthen in my argument.

Edit:
Look at Ret for example.
They have their entire damage in the first 20 seconds of the pull (wings).

As fire mage or boomkin thats where you really get going. Most mobs are dead by now.

Fire mage in particular needs uptime to reset CDs (a crime if you ask me because it is balanced around the 1% and we all know thats not how 99% play the game).

If I could wish for something it would be Combustion on 1 min CD no CDR. That way it would be balanced around 1 minute CD and not around 2 min CD with 36.78% CDR with perfect uptime(numbers are made up).

That makes sense. Because most of the people outdpsing me tend to be melee but on boss fights they usually don’t

Flamestrike is good for 18-20. 20-23 you might want to consider a flamestrike/ignite hybrid build. Fire really isn’t that good below a 23 key. Especially if you have a pally or some other melee class with seemingly endless burst aoe. There’s really isn’t enough mob hp for you to ramp up.

There are many fires in the top keys and I keep hearing how busted the spec is, but whenever I invite a mage they are barely above the tank in dps.

1 Like

I haven’t really understood a lot from your post but here’s the thing:

Fire mage current value you could say, is cleave damage, they have good priority damage by playing ignite cleave while still doing relatively well in aoe.

Here’s the thing though, full aoe, other classes are actually better, in fact even just looking at mage, arcane and frost do more aoe damage.

Flamestrike is undertuned in my opinion.

And in order to solve these problems they need to do this in my opinion.

They need to make all the things that scale with pyro also scale with flamestrike, things like kindling for example.

After that, they need to make ignite a normal passive, and create a new mastery that is not so difficult to get right.

And then simply buff flamestrike a little if necessary.

Ignite cleave should not out dps flamestrike until you have 6/7 targets. Ignite cleave should shine at 2 to 4 target max, but when you are at 4/5 and up flamestrike should take over. I definitely think that this is a balancing issue.

I ran a 23 ever bloom last night and did just under 400 million which was just below a fury warrior with Lego 4 ilvls higher and a balance Druid two levels higher. I really think it is an issue of the mobs simply not living long enough.

Can anyone explain to me the right talent choices for an ignite build?

Check preheats latest fire mage guide on YouTube. It shows a flamestrike build, ignite build and a hybrid build.