Canonical Cases of Resurrection in Lore

Azuregos, possibly multiple times thanks to Anara.

I was thinking about Tyrande and Malfurion bring Shandris back from the brink.

Probably worth noting Chronicle did actually make rogue Val’kyr bringing back people they find worthy a canonical thing, though it isn’t possible to really know how many people they actually have sent back over the years.

1 Like

She had the choice of coming back perfectly fine, but blizzard in their wisdom had her want to be like her people…but not like them at the same time, thus the first Lightforged undead was born.

1 Like

Does the Cata troll stuff in Stranglethorn Vale count?

-Bloodlord Mandokir getting resurrected by some sort of voodoo ritual that the player helped with (mainly finding a suitable body and chuckign it in a cauldren with some other stuff iirc).

-Zanzil resurrected Venoxis. It required having the body, and maybe some other steps (not sure how much work tbh)

-Jin’Do somehow came back from the dead. He had a body and everything, and apparently he did it all by himself (he always had power over spirits or something). It’s not quite clear what he did to come back.

There’s also a quest in Azshara (Cata version that has you running around and calling in goblin priests to come revive wounded soldiers on the beach. I haven’t done the quest in a while, but the NPC’s are shown as dead until the priests you call in revive them; however, they’re still named “wounded soldier”. So, I don’t know if they’re actually canonically dead or not.

(The priests parachute in, cast their spell, and then leave.)

1 Like

The priest also resurrects a couple of unnamed fallen priests in Niskara where Delas and Aponi are captured.

I don’t know if Natalie Seline herself counts, who used the Void to protect her soul from passing over and then resurrected by finding her way back to her body. I don’t consider it auto-resurrection though because she needed the priest’s help (who also needed to perform a ritual to enter the void) to destroy the void-crazed part of her spirit.

1 Like

Skimmed the thread, so I don’t think I"m repeating anything.

There are the old school paladin rez quests - some of them you just heal, but I’m fairly certain you actually rez someone in the human and blood elf quest chains.

There’s also the ghosties in both Bloodlord Mandokir’s fights in Zul’Gurub rez the player.

I just played through the priest campaign, and the priest also resurrects Roland Abernathy, who dies when you attempt to administer a poison antidote to him.

1 Like

Has anyone mentioned the Tempest Keep fight with Kaelthas? He brings his advisors back from death. If that counts.

The whole Phoenix/rebirth thing seems to be a Blood Elf motiff.

2 Likes

Oh yes, you resurrect a guy killed by murlocs/Defias (can’t remember details). It’s how you gain the Paladin Redemption spell. I think there’s a blood elf and draenei equivalent too.

Edit: blood elves resurrect Sangrius Stillblade
Humans and dwarves resurrect Henze Faulk and Narm Faulk respectively.
Draenei resurrect a furbolg shaman.

1 Like

Maybe/kinda/sorta?

Since Kael’thas was a mage, i.e. arcane magic user, I have to wonder if that was less a true resurrection and more some form of localized time reversal, “rewinding” them in space/time back to their states before they died, meaning when they were still alive.

So it may not have been a case of the dead straight-up being raised by putting their souls back and healing their bodies, but rather those advisors being temporally “reset” to several minutes prior, in effect retroactively causing their first deaths to have not actually happened.

Prolly a dumb question but why are they so ok with resurrection when every other little thing is a horrible abomination in their eyes

(Speculative): Because they’re coming back to life and aren’t rotting I guess. Or the more simple answer would be anything the people in charge say, just goes.

1 Like

Prolly the in charge thing because if that was the case they shouldn’t have problems with people like nathanos or sylvanas outside of their leadership roles over the forsaken

1 Like

Found this while leveling my Zandalari DK. It’s animals, not people, but it’s still resurrection without a big ritual: https://wow.gamepedia.com/But_First_My_Offspring

The Scarlets hate Death and love Life. They see Death as an Abomination. If they went to Maldraxxus they would probably have Heart Attacks!

They are a remnant of three things: 1: a Religion that sees Arcane Users as fiends destined for the Twisting Nether, 2: Antonidas’s attempts to stop the use of Fel and Death Magics on grounds of Arcane superiority and 3: Night Elven Horror at Nathrezim Death Magic spreading from the High Elves to Humanity.

Add on the Scourge attacks and these old grievances that prevented Kel’Thuzad from practicing Death Magic developed into an insane racism!

(Commentary): That’s some older lore, but it does exist.

(Commentary): It was less a matter of, ‘Arcane Superiority,’ and more of a matter of dark magic having this strong tendency to corrupt people. Oh, and also incite peasants to grab their pitchforks and torches.

(Query): Wait… what?

In the War of the Ancients Trilogy the Nathrezim use Death Magic and the Night Elves are all horrified by it aside from Illidan…

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Journal_of_Archmage_Antonidas

Just reread the thing and it says:

I do all I can to stifle studies of Fel magics and necromancy here, yet I find myself both disturbed and enthralled by their potential. I refuse to believe that that their efficiency so soundly trumps the common criticisms of being unstable or “evil” that these schools hold the monopoly of avenues for magical progress. Yet when witnessing the massive infernal for one’s self, or seeing acres of land blighted at the wave of a hand, I fear my beliefs may soon shift from gospel to dogma in the minds of my peers.

Seems I was wrong on that point. Seems the War of the Ancients dogma(set up by Ancient Night Elves who were revolted by everything ugly) is the primary cause of Anti-Death Magic beliefs…

1 Like

(Commentary): I fail to see how this would’ve affected the Scarlet Crusade’s views and formation over, well… anything that humanity actually experienced first hand. Such as the Death Knights of the Second War, which were the souls of Orc Warlocks possessing the corpses of Human Knights, raising the corpses of the fallen to fight again. Or, well… any part of the Third War that happened on the Eastern Kingdoms. I’d say the Scarlet Crusade’s views on death magic would’ve been far more likely to be shaped by their personal experiences, rather than hearsay from High Elves.

Didn’t Anduin resurrect Varian in his faction leader story?