Cannot change character on forums

As the title says

I tried logging out and changing the password and it doesn’t work.

I can only use my 2 classic characters and none of my retail characters.

1 Like

i cant change characters either. was able to before but can’t anymore.

Try clearing the cache and cookies in the browser, someone reported they needed to reset their password as well but it’s resolved the issue for a couple of us at least.

i honestly am struggling to comprehend how changing my bnet password is going to unlock character swapping on the forums again. I just do not understand how those 2 things are linked, in any capacity. What could be so drastically and fundamentally broken on the base code level that my current bnet password has completely severed the change forum posting character functionality?

4 Likes

It seemed silly, I just cleared cache+cookies and it came back but it stayed broken for maybe 5 minutes after I did it where I had no characters. I logged out and on again and everything was relatively normal. Is your security a little tight? I accept all the scripts from Blizzard and turn off Ghostery for the site and haven’t had any issues if that helps in any way. It recommends changing passwords on the troubleshooting page.

1 Like

Your advice is appreciated and hopefully helps someone, but the missing retail characters issue is just inconsistent and probably not directly browser related.

The missing retail characters have been happening for about 2 months now at least for me (and sometimes you don’t even get all of your classic characters: you just get classic era clones if you have them; other times you just see your battletag and nothing else, which prevents you from posting at all). It happens in every browser I’ve tried on desktop (Firefox, Edge, Pale Moon, Chrome, Vivaldi) as well as both Chrome and Firefox on android. No amount of clearing browser caches and cookies helps nor any changes I’ve tried to security/privacy settings, sadly. It seems to fix itself on its own, usually. Logging out everywhere, including the bnet app, might fix it sometimes, but even that a lot of times doesn’t work. Changing account password, though a recommended suggestion, hasn’t helped for me. :dracthyr_shrug:

Clearing blizzard specific cookies and data will temporarily fix the logout/login issue with Firefox, but has broke again for me twice. However, I don’t believe that’s related to the missing characters from the character select issue: when it happens to me, it will happen in the same way across all browsers, desktop and mobile, in the same way at that period of time…yet, not every single time will that happen…sigh…frustrating. Also, sometimes I notice that my character (if it’s retail) that I was last posting as returns a 404 error from the armory instead of working the armor returning a 500 error. Yet, that’s not 100% consistent either.

They’ve had the sticky up for over two years, but I’m not sure if that’s still relevant to this issue now or not, since I never had an issue before November. But, I certainly know that it’s annoying…

1 Like

When the character loss happened to me my FF browser, which I hadn’t been able to log off of yet, still had the characters while my Chrome did not. After I cleared cache and cookies in FF I lost all my chars but they came back when I relogged, same with Chrome. Hope that helps in your diagnosis, I don’t particularly like this iteration of the boards either.

1 Like

Same. I just wanna show off a characters mog.

I notice this is still not working. Wanted to share one of my Classic gnome toons and I couldn’t despite, multiple attempts.

Hidden swapping agenda?