Cannot buy monthly game time anymore without a subscription

It really sucks! I normally buy game time as it comes up because I do not want a subscription. I can’t believe they took that away? What do you think?

3 Likes

You can do it by using a token, you can’t via battlenet balance.

2 Likes

When you buy the token, you’d have to convert to game time and not to bnet balance, they changed it so if you have an excess of bnet balance, you’ll need 60 days and can’t do 30 and 90 or w.e.

5 Likes

So buy a 1 month sub and cancel it immediately. Works the same way. What’s the problem?

2 Likes

Why not just subscribe and play and then unsubscribe when you don’t want to pay for another month?

I don’t get people who manually purchased a month of game time from the store each month. I’m assuming that’s what we’re talking about here.

How do you handle Netflix or Hulu or Disney+?

2 Likes

Because you can only get a subscription (1 month) with real currency, not with battle.net balance. So if you earn your sub with gold, you no longer have that option even though its basically battle.net $.

If you’re buying your game time with gold each month, just convert the token directly to 30 days of gametime. Another benefit of this is no sales tax charged like there would be on a battle.net balance purchase.

1 Like

Oh, that’s lame.

Yes, but it only works as long as you have a running sub I believe? Else you cannot login that character or use the AH.

I think you can buy a token with gold and just not use it / click it. I’m pretty sure you can let it sit in your bag.

I haven’t done that personally, maybe someone can chime in with more detail.

Also, you can play for free on characters up to level 20. So maybe buy the token on a low level Alt and then let it sit in that alts bag. Log in and use it when you need to

Ok that possibility exists. Still quite a hassle, why not let people buy 1 month with bnet balance? It makes no sense to me why they changed that specifically. 6 month being gone ok, they are greedy and removed the 6 month for 5 token thing, but why remove 1 month if its still available through other ways.

I’ll never understand someone spending weeks grinding gold to buy a token when flipping burgers for 2 hours could pay for a month

2 Likes

Yeah, I mean, I don’t know their reasoning so I’m not defending the change, but I do maintain it is weird to buy a token with gold and then convert to balance to immediately buy 1 month of time.

Sales tax aside, it is more steps than just clicking the token and selecting 30 days gametime.

There are definitely some situations where the changes had a negative effect on people, such as those who converted gold to balance and then purchased 6 month blocks of gametime at a discount.

But a lot of the complaints about the change are situations like we are talking about here, where someone can just covert the gold token directly to game time and have no meaningful change to their routine.

I don’t think this line of thinking makes sense. People play wow during their free time. If they are able to save up gold to pay their sub, that’s great.

I can’t see any “burger flipping job” hire someone for just 2 hours a month, and most of those jobs don’t let you just add extra hours. I mean, hourly jobs like that usually prevent people from having a stable 40 hours, and they don’t want to pay overtime, so I can’t see them giving someone 2 extra hours just because they want it.

You can buy a token with gold even if you’re not currently subbed.

I never said you don’t keep the job. The point is even a minimum wage job would only take 2hrs to earn enough to pay for a month of wow. Then you can keep the gold you earn in game to use on game stuff.

I used to gift it, now I can’t.

1 Like

I used gold and didn’t buy a token myself. Maybe the price is just the going AH rate for a token? No clue. But basically when I logged in I got an option to pay for one month with gold. It states the cost is divided evenly amongst all the gold on your toons so it’s not like one toon needs to dish it out.

I agree that 2 hours at a low paying job would cover the cost of a month of gametime, but in reality you can’t just get +2 hours more than you already have.

If you’re lucky enough to have 40 hours, they won’t just give you 2 hours of overtime.

If you’re working 29 hours (so they don’t have to pay healthcare) they already aren’t giving you 40 hours.

I’m just not sure where those 2 extra hours are going to magically come from.

Yea, a lot of people don’t realize that, you can buy a token as long as you have the gold right from the character select screen.

If you need to make other arrangements, I’ve gotten multiple free days by just asking CS for them so that I can get gold from a friend.

1 Like