Canadian Dollar (CAD) Price Change for World of Warcraft Game Time (Excludes Subscriptions)

This is the answer. Canada has long had a national sales tax. They recently expanded it to include digital purchases. Their tax is like 5% national sales tax and 8% local sales tax. Their income tax is 15% so they have like a 13%-15%
tax system. Some have argued for a similar system in the US.

5 Likes

EDIT: AH token price can’t be changed, well played Blizzard… guess I’ll just unsub now until you fix this, and make Torghast climbable past Floor 6 / 18…
:roll_eyes: :popcorn:

I mean Canada is weird for not including sales tax directly in the purchase price like its done in 98% of the worlds countries…

But regardless without going to tax policy, this change would have nothing to do with it because it would have to be added on after and doesn’t even exist yet… Rather if I had to guess its done to deter people from gifting game time to other accounts in more expensive jurisdictions for the sole purpose of getting it cheaper.

Blizzard, I absolutely dare you to increase the US dollar for WoW sub.

I’ll grab my popcorn and officially quit WoW while I watch your player base shrink

3 Likes

It will be interesting to watch… that’s for sure. Seems a lot of Americans are ok with everyone else’s subs going up, as many have laughed at us for having to pay more… I bet that tone will change when it affects them.

blizzard has backed down before when massive numbers of customers un subscribe because of unpopular changes.

They reverted forums real id, they reverted the no flying in wow they planned for warlords. I imagine if we have a big enough canadian boycott they will back down here as well.

1 Like

Even by Blizzard/Activision standards this is particularly evil

I bought two different 60 day time cards today from EBGames.

I got one old stock for $34.99, and one new stock card for $37.99. I bought them for my mother and sis for xmas.

I just unsubbed, there goes $22

1 Like

Yeesh. $22 is a little high for me as a casual player. I know its only 3 dollars more but there does come a point where the content is not worth the fee.

5 Likes

Here’s a fun thing.

I dumped a bunch of tokens in to bnet balance on December 12th to find out that they can’t be used for the 6 month promotion for the Sprite Darter’s Wings outfit, because that’s for a 6 month subscription, not 6 months game time.

Fine, whatever, I’ll just use them for WoW time later. Then they increase the price of WoW game time less than a week later, and refuse to credit my account for the difference. It’d have been a difference of 15 dollars.

Incredible. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Does Canada have consumer protection laws or “accepted retail practices”? You should perhaps look into this, but $15 CAD is a pretty minor amount that may not be worth the effort to fight for. However, in the US if a company issues a sale price on an item then most consumers that bought that item within 30 days (or maybe 14, can’t recall) prior to the sale announcement are entitled a a refund on the difference of the sale price and the full price. I think this works similarly if the price is raised (rather than goes on sale), but maybe not if they announce it 30-day in advance of the actual price change.

See Price Adjustment (Retail)

Wow, middle of a pandemic where people have no jobs and less money and you greedy pos increase the price? Nice to see the Blizz that gave a crap about their community is truly dead and gone. Can’t wait till the old guard of gaming companies dies out from their own stupid greed.

6 Likes

That’s great 3 extra dollars for no reason besides greed shame on you blizzard. The decision to price gouge canadians will not be taken lightly.

4 Likes

Wow says a lot about what you think about canadians 3 extra dollars with no reasoning behind it other then let’s price gouge!

5 Likes

This coming out during a pandemic and when many of us canadians are in total lock down and using wow to stay social and same is perfect timing I must say.

2 Likes

why would you up Canadian prices and not USA ? your closest friends and allies, 2 countries that are suppose to have free trade markets.

There’s a fair amount of player speculation that a US Price Increase is coming soon. Maybe Blizzard is just testing the waters with smaller markets in Canada and New Zealand (both paying more than $15 USD) before they implement such a change in their largest North American server market.

I keep seeing posts of player “unsubbing”. I assume you mean you’re not going to buy more “Game Time”. The subscriptions costs (when you sub for 1,3,6 months) has NOT changed.
I use the 6-month sub (not game time) as it is the cheapest payment method.

thx blizz just bought everything on sale in the store and it took less tokens since you made my token worth more