Can you still kill shared spawns physically? Or only through pet battles now?

I was researching the Vile Deathroach on wowhead and one commenter said this:

Shares a spawn with Deathroach and Scurrying Mawrat within the Beastwarrens. Follow the roads for the spawns.
This is a Rare spawn, and you can no longer kill physically the others to spawn it, you need to defeat each deathroach or scurrying mawrat in battle to despawn them for a chance of a Vile Deathroach spawn.

First, I wondered how they discovered that only killing shared spawns via pet battle (as opposed to combat) worked. Then I wondered if this was a general change. I’ve been doing the safaris and I’ve had trouble finding snoeshoe hares. However, if there was a change at some point where you can only kill shared spawns via pet battles that would explain my difficulty.

1 Like

For The Maw and Korthia, I believe you can only clear wild pets via pet battling with it. Kill the starter pet, forfeit, and the entire team should disappear, freeing up the spawn for something else.

I’m not sure if this applies to all wild battles in all of WoW, though. They could have made that change, but I haven’t checked older areas. I know this mechanic was used for specific low/rare spawn wild pets to prevent players from accidentally killing them (AOE damage or w/e). But IIRC Shadowlands is the first expansion where it was applied to entire zones.

4 Likes