Can you please fix the /who function?

I found this addon called WIM and I really like it, but I can’t use it

Why don’t you allow a /who for one character, say, 15 times an hour? Not just completely blacklist the command

I’m posting this because I just got a gold spam invite, so clearly whatever you’ve implemented has been subverted

Gold spam invites would do the same thing with an external script rather than using the Blizzard addons toolset. These two things are unrelated.

1 Like

So why was /who blacklisted then?

Just curious, but do you still have the consensus addon going? I had issues with /who until I disabled the addon.

1 Like

I’ve personally never used the census add-on

It just was and until Blizzard gives an explanation for why, that is all the reason you should need to know. (Essentially Blizzard’s thought process)

/who hasn’t changed at all. The SendWho() API function was disabled.

Nobody has a clue why it was disabled, either.

1 Like

Technically speaking the SendWho function hasn’t been disabled. What’s changed is it’s now protected meaning only Blizzard UI things can use it. Addons are not allowed to use it.

This is why typing the /who command manually works fine - it still uses SendWho but since the slash command “/who” is provided by the Blizzard UI it can use it just fine.

It would be much more insightful if someone could tell us why the SendWho functionality was disabled (for addons).

2 Likes

We can only hypothesize.

Some say it was to break census, but census has existed for 15 years without Blizzard caring, why would they now? It has to be something else imo.

Some say it was to break gold spam invites, but that’s probably not it. That is relatively low impact.

I’ve heard it was to break the LFG addon from automatically providing info about players. That could be, but I still don’t think it’s the real culprit.

My favored choice is that it breaks the automatic layer swapping addon. That addon uses comparrisons of qualified who results to generate a layering table and allow people to swap layers rapidly with minimal effort.

That one makes sense to me because it’s the highest impact on the game, borders on exploiting, can be used to exploit, and is new, so is really the only one that would likely trigger a response from Blizzard that we haven’t seen before.

If that’s the case, we might see the api reenabled post phase 2 when layering is gone. It would also explain why Blizzard is being quiet about it, since they have expressly denied the impact layering has and how we are abusing it, even when we provide proof of how to do it.

Now that I’ve posted that, I expect to get a nice forum vacation for leaking. See ya in a week probably. Hope you read it before Blizzard decides I’m a danger to the forum community.

#TinFoilHat

1 Like

If you’d been paying attention you’d know the /who change has nothing to do with whatever add-on you’re talking about, it was to break the layer-abude add-ons … and it’s doing a fine job and will no doubt be kept in place by Blizzard.

Sounds like layering needs to be turned off pronto!

Dude. I can’t tell you how how long I have been trying to figure out why tf i can’t /who. Similarly, I completely lost the ability to shift + left-click a players name for their info. This one has been driving me absolutely bananas. Unchecking the census addon fixed both issues. I know I don’t know you, but I love you.

I aim to do very few things on the forum, so I am glad it helped as it falls into what I aim to do lol. (also it was something suggested by someone else for me to try in my guild when /who API first broke, so I cannot take full credit)

1:try and help with any knowledge I may have
2: have friendly debates
3: read all the craziness that appears lol

Nope. They broke it to break other add ons that they did not want. So, no they won’t.