Can we please get some Linux love?

last time i ran Linux it was the Knoppix one that booted from CD, around the same time when WoW was launched.

You know there’s a way to keep your data private no matter what right? You’re not smart for telling people this.

Let people have agency.

This … would probably work. I’m not familiar enough with the code base to estimate how hard it would be, but in principle it ought to be doable.

1 Like

Ffxiv now supports Linux with an official launcher. Just putting that out there. Krita is a better editor than gimp to be honest here. It’s not photoshop levels good but it’s way better than gimp is. There’s a lot of tools that you wouldn’t expect to be out on Linux now as there’s companies out there that believe in the end users rights to choose, even if it means they won’t see billions of dollars in revenue. That’s no reason to get all toxic and hurrdurr over me not wanting windows. Sorry i don’t want to be spied on. I might just have to give the ffxiv free trial a go and if i like it, switch giving them my $15 a month instead of blizzard. Sure I’m only one person, but lots of one people can add up quickly. Refuse to grow and change with technology, companies that support the current popular thing end up taking the lions share while you get left asking
“Why do you say we don’t care?”
Because it’s obvious that you don’t care at all. Especially when toxic knee jerk responses like these are given.

1 Like

I haven’t had issues.

TBF the game performs like crap on Windows too.

many people including myself get lock ups and freezes on new hardware as well. So don’t feel left out too much.

3 Likes

This is my understanding as well. I am sure Blizzard uses Linux for some things, and that various staff probably do for personal use. However, Blizzard does not, and never has, officially supported Linux of any flavor. They won’t commit to making the game work on it officially.

They also have almost zero support for Mac anymore. Most new games at Blizz don’t run on Mac at all.

Then I’ll be switching to ffxiv. I don’t understand why y’all would take such a hard stance against user freedom. That seems really bad.

Na, run 99% of my games fine on my linux…Plus I can rice the hell out of my UI…

For the most part linux run wow just fine
Some setups have a worst time my guess op runs nivida…that doesn’t help much…

1 Like

Na, there is a few neckbreads that are that way…but that’s the exception and not the rule

And honestly on the gaming front it has
never been this easy to play games…install steam run… literally thats it…

Now blizzard can sometimes be a pain with Dvxk but thats life running Linux

1 Like

wasn’t being toxix.

Just pointing out if one is blindly pulling off repos you don’t know what’s in there.

md5 hashes checked is missed there as well, a real low level thing here too. All OS users often skip this lol.

1 Like

This. I feel like windows users seem to have a persecution fetish at the mere mention of asking for linux support.

1 Like

I run a window manager. And I rice the hell out of…what I can do in Linux could never possibly do with the ui in windows… although I have the ram to run, but with. Openbox running discord wow and having 5 tabs open in Firefox 4GB ram used try that on windows lol

2 Likes

You can use flathub exclusively or appimages. You don’t need to use repositories at all. Just make wow an appimage and host it with the blizzard launcher and then encrypt it. It would be more secure than the windows version. Why do i need to be forced to use spyware just to enjoy wow?

Between snaps, flatpaks, and appimige
There is honestly no need for repos…

Hell even Ubuntu is starting to get away from ppa’s

Although snaps sorta make my eyes twitch

1 Like

Because then that 3rd party service gets bought out by a bigger fish…the company is now on the hook for that. you see for if they have some good tech under the hood…big fish offer big money to take it over.

put enough 0’s in an offer and open source devs go here ya go.

See eve. Long ago it used some 3rd party indy kind of open source application for its mac os client. good stuff too…one of the better ways I have seen mac os get a pc game.

Nvidia (think nvidia) bought them out. and…ccp games had to jump through hoops to work on a wine like replacement.

Why? nividia was going to to predictibly charge way more for the the use of that x-platform tech they now owned. CCP games did not want to be on the hook if nvidia said pay us butt loads of cash.

Blizzard and other learned from this. Nice x-platform fixes issues this year. what happens when they sell over all rights 2 years later.

1 Like

Have you tried bottles for running battlenet

It’s almost like every argument against using Linux is nothing but lies people tell themselves to make excuses. If they put as much effort into making things work on Linux as they do complaining as to why they won’t support Linux, nobody would be using Windows either that or windows wouldnt be straight up spyware now. I used windows 7 until i couldn’t. It’s over. I no longer wish to support Microsoft if they want to monetize my user data. The argument people give “well phones do it so it’s ok” is really scary to me. Like they’re just ready to accept bad behavior because other companies do it too? Are people that devoid of their souls?

Most people just don’t give an expletive…
I even run a degoogled phone. Granted, I know I can’t get rid of all my user data out there. But I can try to mitigate as much as possible.

1 Like

Don’t understand this because flatpacks. Appimage. Snaps are all open source…no big tech company going to buy them out…
But ok whatever

1 Like