Can we please get a blue post at least saying a dk rework is in the works?

Please blizz. give us anything. frost dk needs it badly

5 Likes

There’s isn’t one in the works. They’re going to try to address the complaints with hero talents.

2 Likes

And based on what we have seen, their solution is … bum bada bum… MORE PETS (summons)! Just what everyone always wanted.

Not how that works.

These forums were furious at me for suggesting that Frost/Blood should have a bit more minions/guardians to be more DK themed, without them even being a big part of yoru damage, while simultaneously praising Rider with its four minions/guardians that have a massive impact on your damage.

I hope with whatever changes Blizzard has in store that they ignore this forum entirely. People here very clearly don’t know what the actually want and will just continue giving horrible feedback and ruin the class. Again.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not sure how I feel about rider. We’re still going to be made out of paper but now we’re arguably the most mobile class in the game? The rng element of proc’ing riders feels like it’ll be nerfed heavily in PvP with just randomly having an AMS or chains applied. More health bars and such littering the screen.

Army spawning riders is also a big red flag that we’re going to be even more reliant on external abilities like PI to damage. I’m conflicted on it but also willing to give it a try before I judge it.

1 Like

well this aged horribly lol

2 Likes

Blood

Blood suffers from a lack of viable build options because it has to invest so heavily into the tree to feel like it functions. To some degree, all Death Knight specs suffer from this a bit more than other specs due to their unique leveling experience comparatively. We want to see where we can shift some abilities/talents learned in the spec tree that would make more sense baseline, to not only smooth out build diversity but also improve the leveling experience.

Frost

For Frost we want to take a look at Breath of Sindragosa to get it back to the more appropriate ~30 second duration to allow us more tuning knobs. This starts with the first note of reducing the flooding of resources available, one of the big offenders being Rune of Hysteria, which will see an update.

While we understand Breath is a very divisive ability it offers a very unique gameplay experience that not many of our other specs offer and while have no plans to remove that we do want to explore a potential alternative that feels fresh and exciting for players that wish to try something a bit different. Likely introduced as new capstone replacing Frostwyrm’s Fury which we plan to shift higher within the tree as a more easily accessible talent.

Unholy

As for Unholy, we have some plans to reduce the opener complexity. It’s not nearly as intuitive as it could/should be. Unholy also suffers from the amount of things it needs to track to really function optimally and it is less than ideal and we are looking to reduce the amount of “plates that need to be spinned”.

Gargoyle is one area we’d like to explore offering a new playstyle. While we don’t plan on removing it we do want to create a choice node with it that offers a less bursty option and leans a bit more into a more sustained damage alternative.

We’d also like to revisit Sudden Doom and diseases to offer a little bit more gameplay experience than the two currently do for Unholy.

Lastly, while we don’t have plans to remove Festering Wounds we do want find ways to make the friction of playing with them less. Vile Contagion was an ability introduced in Dragonflight that had some excitement around it but it never quite got its time. We plan to reduce its cooldown to 45 seconds and we plan to update Festermight to function similarly to Ironfur so playing around the act of bursting wounds feels less punishing and doesn’t require as nearly as much set up.

More to come

While the above isn’t exhaustive and doesn’t encompass all of our planned changes, we want to start the conversation so that players have a general idea of what’s coming.

Thank you for your continued feedback and we look forward to hearing more when we unveil the changes.

2 Likes

Yep just posted - I am sad they are intent on keeping Breath of Sindragosa, but if it has to stay in the tree as long as its far out of the way of the more interesting stuff I guess… Not sure I understand or agree with the reasoning to keep it - nor is it my call to make, just stating opinions - but yeah Frostwyrm is way more iconic so I’ll take that change.

Looking forward to see these changes exactly!

6 Likes

There was never any doubt it was going away to begin with and if people actually, legitimately thought there was a chance, then I have a bridge to sell them.

If any of the capstones were removed it’d be Obliteration way, way before Breath. 0 chance they’d remove an iconic (and it is) ability that (was) unique to the spec before removing the glorified “every Frost Strike gives you Martial Prowess for Obliterate for the next X seconds” capstone.

My thing is that if they can keep its intended damage to the 20-30s window without room for it to overextend and not become degenerate, it’s perfectly fine to keep it as one of the playstyles of Frost.

I’m interested to see what they intend on putting as the third capstone.

1 Like

Yeah to be clear I perhaps was writing a bit too negatively about it - I dislike the fact that its always either Breath or Obliterate - if Breath doesnt constitute an entire play style on its own I’d be happier with that, which these changes might bring about.

So I am quite excited to see the end result!

1 Like

so breath is mid obliteration is melee third should be long range right

That’s… not how that works.

It’s more like | Rune Focus > New Capstone < RP Focus |, which would indicate something that would encourage actual weaving of Rune & RP abilities.

I don’t have high hopes, but I’ll give them a fair chance. It never hurts to listen.

1 Like

As much as I hate the breath play style blizz will never remove it. They truly think they struck gold when it was originally designed and is the special child even though they admit it’s not for everyone. All that said IF I understand this correctly there might now be 2 alternative options to breath which would be far healthier. Here’s hoping they address DnD cleave and give more details about our new talents soon. Communication like this is very good and I wish it would happen more often.

You are. In TWW, FWF is being removed as a capstone and put higher up, so the capstones will be

1. 30s~ Breath (likely with the same CD)
  2. whatever garbage version of Obliteration that still exists
  3. whatever capstone they replace FWF/AZ with
1 Like

30 sec breathe is completely fine and manageable. when your tuned around a perma breath it way to punishing if something goes wrong and you just get a 30 sec breath.

More importantly we could be getting a 3rd playstyle with the new capstone. or at least something to spice up the other two. FWF should have always been higher in the tree.