Can we have more privacy in forums to feel more safe?

Let me ask you this, how many times has this ever actually happened?

Considering I get into a lot of disagreements on the forums, I’ve never seen this happen, so how many times has this ever really happened.

3 Likes

And you ALREADY have all those tools in-game.

You can turn off messages, you can turn off all of chat itself.

Again, the forums are irrelevant in that regard.

3 Likes

Waaaaaay back during BFA when I was active in the San’Layn AR request thread I got a threat in-game mail from a High Elf Fanatic. I laughed, reported them, didn’t see any more of them in-game or the forums.

That’s been it. All the other discussions I’ve had over the years with people of various temperaments and questionable sanity and… nada?

2 Likes

it happens to me everyday. everyday this evil cactus shows up to beat me up. everyday it takes my lunch money. everyday it stalks me on the forums. it haunts me ever so. everyday this cactus says it will be back to finish the job. i live in fear of this cactus. i call this cactus AIMEE.

1 Like

The tools are there, so you did the right thing rather than engaging back. I know somethings does happen, but when their is the tools to combat such behaviour, such as reports and ignores, I don’t get why some seem to make it like it is an issue to use when it isn’t an issue to use.

2 Likes

I too lost hours to the Gold Saucer when I played FF14

1 Like

have you seen this cactus?

look at her. the face of a evil cactus.

4 Likes

i do not want to turn off all chat in game. i play the game socially, i do mythic plus groups and raiding, i have a guild. why would i play an MMORPG with the chat off?

i enjoy lots of people i play with and meet in game, that doesn’t mean i should have to deal with harrassment from the forums.

You say that, but OP’s idea would make it easier.

A lot of people who try to hide on alts (IE: become anonymous from their forum history), give themselves away very quickly by repeating the same behavior that earned them the reputation they’re trying to get away from.

5 Likes

no OP’s idea would be perfect because then no one would know any of my characters in-game and they would have zero opportunity to contact me outside of the forums, which is the outcome that i am seeking.

1 Like

The Forums have zero to do with this.

I honestly face more harassment from stuff IN-GAME than anything to ever come out of the forums.

Account wide ignores on the forums would help curb that since bad actors wouldn’t be able to hide or alt swap to message/target you.

Anon forums is just a troll’s playground, not an actual safety measure

6 Likes

Why do you assume that?

i would have to say that i do not relate to that, as i have always had pleasant experiences in game.

if there were anonymous posting then bad actors on the forums would have no options that allow them to contact me in-game.

can i ignore them in game? yes i can… but i still have to see their first harrassment message, which is not something that i want.

can i pre-emptively ignore their posting character on the forums in-game? yes but that doesn’t mean they can’t log onto a different character and whisper me negative messages.

anonymous posting solves this issue and i think it would be good.

There is no reasonable way for Blizzard to protect you or any other person from receiving messages that we don’t don’t want or need to see. Aside from the tools that we are given.

If you, as a person are truly that concerned about the messages you receive in game that could be flowing over from the forums. Then I would do as
Aqure suggested.

But I’m sorry, in my humble opinion, your argument doesn’t hold water. I can’t agree to people not being held accountable within their own community. Just because a few people don’t wish to or plain out refuses to use the tools available to them.

If the suggestion was to expand the ignore feature to automatically ignore the player in game and vice versa. I could understand that…

This? Though… No. It’s just not a reasonable suggestion.

1 Like

well, when i post from this alt, people call me a troll and insult me for having no achievement points on the forums. i would prefer to not deal with that.

this is exactly the type of situation that the OP was discussing and that is why i support this suggestion for the wow forums.

WoW Forums doesn’t call airstrikes on people.

Well, people do kick people out for really any reason. Whether it be something like disagreements on forums, twitter, their politics, favorite food, etc…

…Why it’s suddenly a problem now when it wasn’t before, idk.

1 Like

You had the option to do that last thing already, yet you chose to spend minimum $50 + $15/month to not do that on your forum character.

2 Likes

My account is nearly 18 years old, do you see how few achievement points I have considering the age of the account? And this is my main.

It doesn’t matter if someone calls you a troll. If they do, once again ignore them and you will not see their messages again.

I know I sound like a broken record. But I am truly trying to drive home the point that you have actual options. Presently the way it feels is that you are looking for a reason to be a victim. And you do not have to be. We are capable of controlling the content we see. But it is up to us.

1 Like

You assume that, but you’re talking gives away a lot more than you think for someone determined.

You’d still see harassment on the forums, and you couldn’t permanently block them out either, you’d never know who was who. Anon won’t eliminate harassment and ill will from the forums and game like you want to hope it does.

While bugged atm, in-game IS account wide, they cannot, should not be able to do that. You ignore someone and they cannot contact you ever.

it does not prevent people harassing you in the slightest.

2 Likes

Only when you try to bash other players logs. Kinda made your bed with that one.

7 Likes