Can we ask for more privacy features in forums to feel more secure?

People check qualifications before considering someone’s opinion? Shock.

1 Like

Who remembers a spiteful post I’ve made back in 2019, and why can I admit my toxicity from back then?

But the OP doesn’t want to admit there behaviour from 2021?

i wouldn’t say that is the correct conclusion, though.

1 Like

The mods are on the sides of “Jimminy Hopping CHRISTMAS would you all just STOP?”

Unfortunately on the one side you have dedicated, die-hard provocateurs and contrarians with their bear-poking sticks, and on the other hand you have these people:

…it’s me, I’m these people.

I’ve been able to mostly disengage with this topic though since it’s obvious it would never actually happen so I don’t feel as compelled to argue against it.

3 Likes

They implemented similar feature in ow2, so who knows. Thats why we are asking for more privacy.

As mentioned, streamer mode is applicable to having your name hidden in game in WoW, not the forums.

8 Likes

You do not speak for me

4 Likes

yes it is a current feature in overwatch 2 where players are able to hide their character name in game - this is called “streamer option”.

how does this function? well if you choose to opt-in to the streamer option by checking the box in the menu, instead of showing your name when you enter a match, overwatch chooses a completely randomized name for you.

what purpose does this serve?

1. streamers can hide their names so they don’t get stream sniped, thus creating an unfair disadvantage for the streamer and anyone who happens to be on their team (which can lead to frustration if you are just a random person who got randomly matched with the streamer - they would think something like ‘because i ended up on the streamer’s team, i had a harder game because the other team could stream snipe the streamer’).

This is the primary purpose of the function - but not the only function.

what are the other functions and benefits of this system?

1. sometimes people can become toxic in pvp games like overwatch and this can lead to grudges carried over into other matches - for example: Jimmy and Billy are on the same team (randomly matched) and Billy doesn’t play well, then Jimmy insults Billy and Billy feels bad. Then later that day, Jimmy and Billy are randomly matched onto the same team again, Billy feels frustrated because Jimmy acted negatively to him earlier and Jimmy still holds a grudge for Billy’s poor performance earlier - so they begin to argue and the match is just a loss, which is unfair to everyone, including Jimmy and Billy’s randomly chosen teammates.

So this function not only protects streamers but it really allows every participant to have a better experience - sometimes people get upset in the heat of competition and they say things that are not nice. If this happens, a grudge can form and then future matches with the same people can start off on the wrong foot.

However, if everyone used the streamer mode, then you don’t risk bad feelings carrying into the next match, because they don’t know who was or was not on their team.

I submit that this can serve a very important purpose on the wow forums as well.

1. Sometimes, arguments get heated when discussing controversial topics and then two forum users form a grudge against each other, now these two forum users end up acting negatively to each other regardless of the current thread they find themselves because they are carrying over the grudge from the previous controversial topic.

If we had a “streamer mode” for the wow forums, someone would be able to have a randomly assigned name for them every time they logged in, thus if two people get into a disagreement, then that disagreement won’t carry over into new topics or threads because both participants would have new and randomly assigned names.

everyone would communicate about the topic at hand and would not feel burdened by past disagreements.

1 Like

It is Blizzards domain to hold others accountable for what they post.

Not you or the group of pro-supporting Btags/account wide ignores who’ve convinced themselves they hold the one solution for the forums going forwards.

1 Like

You don’t stream the forums. What are they going to do, stream-snipe your edits?

7 Likes

To use your own logic, that’s an example of hiding your name in a game, not in the forums.

That means it’s irrelevant because these are the WoW forums, not WoW the game.

8 Likes

What if I’m streaming the forums and my one viewer makes a thread to get my attention?? D:

According to the mods users should’ve had the good grace not to bite.

You can’t explain away the bite marks that have already pulled down the previous threads and possibly this one.

it was not just them though, a lot of ppl here went way overboard

1 Like

What’s the problem with my solution?

And here it is again:

Step 1: Enable BattleTags on the forums and allow people to only use their BattleTag.

Step 2: Enable blocking of BattleTag requests for people who don’t want to be contacted at all.

Thus if all you have is your BattleTag shown, and block BattleTag requests, then nobody can ever find out what characters you’re playing in the game.

It’s a great solution that puts the boot down on sock puppets and stalkers.

2 Likes

Frustration builds upon more frustration. Here’s a simpler explanation of this kind of thread in video form:

yeah but then this would hinder people making friends and connections in the game of WoW, which is not good for the overall long-term health of an MMORPG.

1 Like

Off topic.

This is about anonymous posting, there is already a thread blown up detailing something similar.

Any mention of Btags is automatic toxicity.

1 Like

So you’re not even going to attempt to discuss anything. Sad.

2 Likes

Imagine coming into a thread after admitting that you don’t care what happens either way just to stir the pot and cause drama then try and take the moral high ground :woozy_face: How weird and wacky!

4 Likes