Can the Drow Elves story exist in World of Warcraft lore?

I am beginning the adventure of RP for the first time and wanted to build my favorite character from D&D which is the Drow Dark Elf. I am building a great back story but started to think should this type of elf even belong in WoW. Most of WoW is based around D&D so maybe it could work. What are your thoughts? Maybe some suggestions from some veteran players of Role Playing. Heck, I might even think of building a Drow type guild community if this pans out.

I could definitely see the looks, personality and attitude as a carry over from your D&D character. We don’t have an Underdark, so you’d have to fit the character within the confines of WoW lore.

Already working on a story and how myself and other Drow appeared here in Azeroth on behalf of our renegade Goddess Eilistraee.

1 Like

Honestly, Naga are essentially the Drow of the Warcraft world. Elves that forsake the others and came into a dark pact with a dark god, with a matriarchy that must be followed. Just swap out underground for underwater and you’ve got yourself a match.

5 Likes

That is a great point that I never saw.

Should they, you say? But the nightborne draw inspiration from the drow!

Check out the Fal’dorei, there’s not too much lore there but that also presents lots of opportunity for you to fill in the blanks on what you’re going for.

2 Likes

Thank you for that information. This will give me some referances to build my character’s backstory a little better.

Could you share details on your character from D&D and we can probably help brainstorm ideas on how to fit them into WoW’s setting.

I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer but just keep in mind, you may find yourself having a difficult time finding RP if you RP as something not in the setting. Is it totally doable, for sure but it’s gonna be a tough one when it comes to making connections or general walk up RP. I wouldn’t really recommend it as your first dip into WoW RP. I’m not trying to be mean but I just don’t want you to have a bad experience by having your idea getting shot down by randos!!

Otherwise, Night Elves were essentially Warcraft’s take on Drow but with it’s own unique spin from DnD. They said screw magic we love nature and our Goddess Elune a lot and was (in Warcraft III) a Matriachy society with strict roles around gender/occupation. Then later we got Nightborne which leaned even harder on Drow inspiration and influence but still retaining the original Night Elf concept. Now we have void elves, is this just another take on Drow? Idk but they’re purple (sometimes) and they are into even spookier dark magic and instead of going underground they live in space.

6 Likes

“Wait, they’re all just Drow?”

Loads gun “Always has been.”

5 Likes

I’d say you will find elements of dark elves or drow in quite numerous elves in Warcraft, though there’s no exact equivalent.

Drow sounds like elves that dug too deep and greedily

1 Like

Angry Fal’dorei noises

3 Likes

The Elemental Earth plane could kinda sorta be an Underdark.

the goddess is Therazane?

A fertility goddess, specifically.

1 Like

The Truth is Drowt There

1 Like

The Truth is Drowt There

Time for you to go home.

My uber drider isn’t here yet

1 Like

Press X for Droubt

What if we put on fancy dresses and went to Drownton Abbey

1 Like