Can survival get a real buff?

Like, it’s basically the worst single tsrget dps in the game (or at least very close to it)

And the solution is to buff 1 ability and 2 talents (one that no one takes)?

Hell, even with its tiny buff the only specs it would start to be higher than were also buffed, by bigger amounts

Gat dangit blizz, just admit you either hate the spec or flat out don’t have a single person who knows how the spec works in charge of balance

10 Likes

I think it would be funny to over buff survival, making it the best hunter spec. Bows would become useless overnight. Oh the cries we’d see…

13 Likes

I’d take it, I like survival the most lol

But is also accept not being absolute trash

2 Likes

Teams too busy working on awful content like torghast

11 Likes

inc: “the only acceptable buff to surv is to make it ranged”

survival is extremely fun and i’d love to play it more in pve. i play the other two specs as well but there’s just something about pvp as surv that is just so much more satisfying than the other two specs

9 Likes

It was a head scratcher when they made Survival a melee spec for multiple reasons not the least of which is we’ve never had a new Ranged spec after all these years.

Survival needs to bring something unique for Group play and I feel they could have done that with their Bombs but we just git a generic melee class.

3 Likes

I still think it made sense if it had been better thought out or another ranged class had come out to make up for it, “melee with pets” is a fantasy that was missing considering pre-Cata it seemed like hunter was significantly less “just a guy with a bow/gun” lorewise and more focused on nature.

Plus now the problem is SV as ranged would step on so many toes; BM got most of the dot spec and I don’t think just going back to being the spec with two pets would cut it anymore.

3 Likes

Rogues have 3 melee specs. Warlocks and Mages have 3 ranged specs. The idea that we can’t come up with 3 distinct ranged weapon users is complete nonsense; as is the idea that making a spec distinguished within a class via weakness is a valid approach to class design.

I don’t know what you’re talking about with BM getting most of the dot spec because it got absolutely nothing from ranged Survival and its interaction with dots is minimal (it starts and ends at Barbed Shot and you get next to nothing out of multidotting with that).

If they made Survival ranged again, which they absolutely should, BM would be in exactly the same state. In fact, BM would be better off because it wouldn’t have melee Survival leeching off its pet cooperation identity with Kill Command, Coordinated Assault (a.k.a. “other Bestial Wrath”), and Spirit Bond (which was originally a BM thing). SV would be like it used to: it would focus on exotic munitions and utility, and its gameplay style would ideally focus more on multidotting and funnel-cleaving. You can view it as a similar distinction between the Warlock specs; one focuses on upfront, hardcasted, burst damage (MM/Destro), one focuses on rot damage (SV/Affli), and one focuses on pets (BM/Demo).

10 Likes

And one of them is pure melee, one has ranged skills, and one might as well be deleted so I’m not sure the current state of rogue is a good counter here.

Also I’m pretty sure there has been some noise for some sort of battlemage-ish spec for years now for mage, especially with 1h sword skill being added for Felo’melorn

3 Likes

Your post mostly comes across as scrambling for a counter-example so I’m not sure it’s worth addressing each point. But as for the battle mage: people ask for all sorts of stupid spec ideas. I’ve seen people sincerely demand for Survival to be a healer spec. It doesn’t mean they’re either in significant enough numbers or worth listening to.

5 Likes

There have been meme melee builds focused on survival’s old talent trees since literally vanilla though, look at wowhead comment histories and pay attention to the number of spears and agi two handers in general that are repeatedly described as good hunter weapons and check the actual timestamps on those, pretty much every single one predates the removal of melee skills from hunter. And I’m saying that as someone who pretty much didn’t touch melee unless I absolutely had too on my previous bnet account from then.

My point was that most of the whining about losing a ranged spec would be fundamentally meaningless if they added another range focused class, which tinker and/or bard could mostly be (I’d imagine tinker as mostly ranged maybe with a tank spec, and bard as a hybrid with physical ranged spec, casting spec, healer spec). Given Rexxar was basically a melee BM in 3 and that multiple ranger-typed elf heroes are showed as proficient at both, I feel like having a melee spec on the archetypal ranger class is fine.

Also the rogue and mage specs have flavor distinctions, which MM and MM but with dots really isn’t significant enough anymore imo to make their own specs when they can just make MM+dots a couple talents in MM itself after shoving back a couple skills into the class baseline as they did.

1 Like

Please, it would be amazing I love surv.

And it would be good if it was good

1 Like

This would be nice.

Credit to the god survival hunter in our key the other day. Hope to see more survivals flourish!

(Easily timed)
(Ofc please remain keeping the love for us Beast Mastery Hunters too :D).

1 Like

It is getting a somewhat bump in testing. I tried it with my hunter. It not very good, but a really good start. Average dps increase of 1k.

1 Like

Sorry.
Enhancement and Survival will have to go the the prom together.

3 Likes

Put Survival back to Wrath design, is my suggestion. It doesn’t seem like any of the changes they’ve made since then have been true improvements.

6 Likes

The wrath spec system has like nothing in common with what it’s been since Mists though.

The SV hunter everyone is qqing about being so good ranged lasted all of two expansions and is basically contained in a bunch of talents at this point.

Key word “meme”. This is not a justification for actually restricting it to melee 12 years after launch.

Yes, because we needed melee statsticks back then. Again, not indicative of melee-focused play and not a justification for Survival lacking a ranged weapon.

No, actually, it wouldn’t. It would still dilute the Hunter class identity and it would still be a largely useless and ignored spec forever. We would also have to reroll to get a playstyle that previously existed in our own class, and that’s if this hypothetical new ranged spec adhered to ranged Survival’s style (unlikely given ranged Survival’s style was highly dependent on the core Hunter archetype).

Yes and that feeling is naive. Sorry for any offense but it’s true. The issues with Survival being melee are severe and plain to all, even if you choose to ignore them.

Is Destruction just Affliction with dots?

Again, ignorant and naive argument. Specs aren’t the same just because they use the same weapon type. SV and MM had flavour distinctions too.

No, they didn’t. They reused a couple names and icons from SV and that’s about it. If you spec into Serpent Sting, Explosive Shot, and Lock and Load as MM right now it still plays nothing like ranged Survival did.

In Wrath it got Explosive Shot, Lock and Load, and Black Arrow. It had all of those mechanics in MoP, too, along with a focus on Serpent Sting. In fact, it kept the same basic spec design for 4 expansions before Legion screwed it all up and you cannot replicate the same playstyle/identity via talents.

Yet another naive and lazy argument. All your posts are like this: just braindumping low-effort claims like this because you know it takes much less effort to dish them out than to debunk them. Shameful.

It was good in the expansions after Wrath when it kept the same basic design. It only got bad in late WoD when they gutted it (likely on purpose) and then Legion when they made it melee.

4 Likes

No.
10 chars

What if they deleted Survival and buffed BM and MM to top 5 dps specs. Would that work?