Can someone help me understand weapon skill?

Okay so I’m fairly new to melee classes and this is a stat I’m not really sure I fully understand. I was always under the impression that you wanted the 305 weapon skill in order to reduce the hit rating from 9(?) to 6(?). As a rogue, I notice as daggers, the Aged Core Leather Gloves are often listed as BiS for a combat daggers Rogue. Are you trying to build the weapon skill up to 310 with the gloves AND Weapon Expertise? Also, at what point does weapon skill start to become less important. For instance, if you want weapon expertise as well as the gloves, would you also want a muggers belt in order to bump it up to 315?

Also, one last thing, since you get 5% hit from talents, as well as 5 weapon skill from weapon expertise, does that mean you only need 1% worn hit in order to hit the soft cap for your special attacks? Should you aim for more than 6%, or is it negligible beyond that point.

Basically I don’t fully understand weapon skill and hit and how they function together. I’ve tried doing some reading but apparently I’m a simpleton lol.

Here’s what you need to know… weapon skill > anything

1 Like

https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/elhdzf/hit_weapon_skill_guide_for_melee_classes/

3 Likes

You will always have glancing blows. Always. Weapon skill helps reduce the loss of damage AND your need for hit. Items that give weapon skill are good. Traits that give weapon skill are good.

This being the case, if you have innate weapon skill, that’s good and you should be rewarded. If you don’t, that’s bad and you should use Edgemasters or be penalized.

These are the only truths. Again, this being the case:

Orc ALWAYS have prio on axes

Humans ALWAYS have prio on 1h swords/1h maces.

Beyond that, it’s Edgies, Aged Core Hound Gloves or to the back of the line for you.

As a rogue, you also have to worry about crit cap. (which is based on your hit rating/weapon skill)

For combat daggers, yes.

Realistically you can stop at 308, but most items grant 5 or 6 skill.

Join the rogue classic discord, it’s got way more information than I can possibly post here.

1 Like

You can get a Expert Goldminer’s Helmet (+7 1H Axe Skill), or a Mugger’s Belt (+5 Dagger Skill) and you’ll probably never replace them until you get the The Hungering Cold sword (+6 1H Sword Skill) from KT in Naxx (the +Axe helmet for sure, the +Dagger belt has two potential upgrades: ACLG and the Circlet of Restless Dream). Both are easier/cheaper to get and and it’ll serve you just as well… People really overestimate Edgemaster’s value, IMO.

There’s also the Hakkari warblades’ set bonus (+6 1H Sword skill), but the MH is far too fast and you might as well go daggers if you are considering them to begin with.

Great link, thank you!

In addition to the links above, it may be helpful to read and understand the Attack Table in it’s entirety. It’s kind of complicated, but you can’t really understand the full effect of +weapon skill, crit caps, or hit until you understand how they each effect the table.

https ://vanilla-wow.fandom.com/wiki/Attack_table

Excellent info. This is exactly what I was looking for but was having trouble finding on my own. Appreciate the help!

It’s cute seeing Tauren warriors standing around Orgrimmar with their little baby edgemasters. I can smell their tear drenched fur and depression from not rolling Orc.

Rogues can’t use axes tho, would be fun if we could for hemo PvP tho.