Can someone explain to me the new opening rotation for Arcane

I don’t get it, I’m using the recommended talent tree for ST and I did a DPS test on the 5 dummies closed up together in Valdrakken and at the time that my Touch of the Magi runs out I was at about 23M damage for 1M dps before prepatch, and now I’m at maybe 13M damage for 500k dps at most.

506 Mage, was the same ilvl before prepatch dropped.

Old opening rotation was :

• Prepull : Evocation into Mirror Images and Lust twice ;
  • On pull : Spam Arcane Blast until Clearcasting procs stopped in the middle for more Arcane Blasts until the timer for Siphon Storm reaches around 17s ;
  • Burst : Spark into Nether Tempest into Arcane Surge followed by an Arcane Barrage into Touch of the Magi before it lands ;
  • Touch of the Magi timer : 3x Arcane Blasts to stack Sparks into Arcane Missiles clearcasted and stopped in the middle for more Arcane Blasts letting only the Aether Attunement Arcane Missiles finish.

New Opening Rotation (seems like?) :

• Prepull : Evocation into Mirror Images and Lust once ;
  • On pull : Same thing but until ~14s (This time letting Arcane Missiles finish to regen Arcane Charges and have 4 by the time Touch is used) ;
  • Burst : Arcane Surge into Arcane Barrage into Touch of the Magi ;
  • Touch of the Magi Duration : Arcane Blast spam until Clearcasting procs and before each use of Arcane Missiles one Arcane Barrage ?
1 Like

It’s kinda different now, it’s so obnoxious to even explain because there’s 10 different things and scenarios to be mindful of. I’ll say it’s not the best to follow but after watching preheats latest version on YouTube 10x I’m starting to get a grasp on it. I recommend going and watching his video and then watch it again 20 more times while practicing on the dummies lol

2 Likes

From what I have read and practiced, the new “rotation” for Arcane is basically like a tax form now…

Cast “X” unless “Y”, but before “Z” until “U”…

Provided “Y” has less time than “Z” then proceed to “P” except on Tuesdays when the moon is full… :smiley:

So, after blowing all your cooldowns on pull you basically use a variety of abilities depending upon charges, timers on cooldowns, server ticks, etc…

My guess is that we are supposed to try to flow from full charges to Arcane Barrage using one of the most convoluted system of talents and abilities I have ever seen. I recommend lots of add-ons, weak auras, and practice. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

1 Like

The difference you’re seeing is not due to the change in the rotation but the lack of a second Time Warp. You were looking at a very brief window on the dummy and so the loss of the second hero was much more noticeable.

2 Likes

You can no longer get double Time Warp.

1 Like

Nah if you are just starting out don’t follow preheat his steps are way too detail just follow a generic guide to get the ball rolling.

Pre heat rotation is so complicated only the 1% can pull off perfectly everytime and it does like 1k mroe dps? Not really worth it for us mortals

1 Like

your time is better spent working for the NASA thats for sure :stuck_out_tongue:

Well you can still follow the guide it’s not that bad you just have to break up the rotation and practice each part like any other spec in the game. There isn’t many pre patch guides and wowhead seems to leave a lot out for the rotation. It’s slightly different for sure to previous seasons and can feel a bit random in comparison but after awhile it starts feeling better.