Can someone do a sticky of how to do this?

I’ve tried. Really. I can win some basic battles, but when my pets start to level a bit it just all goes wrong. I tried to learn pet battling in WoD and was frustrated.

The older version of the forums did have a bunch of stickies but it looks like they did carry over.

Hopefully you’ll find these useful;

https://www.wowhead.com/battle-pet-guides#50+5

1 Like

It’s hard to give a TLDR of pet battles.

They are deceptively simple. Kind of like Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Beast attacks are strong against Critters. But some Beasts have Magic or Undead attacks. Some attacks have 3 or 4 round cooldowns. And some attacks are just not that strong.

I could write a small book about what to do. But half of it wouldn’t make sense and you wouldn’t read it anyway. The best thing to do is just go out and battle.

I notice you have a lot of level 1 pets. Best thing to do is go to a starter area and just battle. You’ll be leveling some pets, but more important is you will learn stuff along the way. Which attacks hit hard. Which pets have versatility.

There are a lot of things you just have to learn by experience. Guides are fine, but you will learn more by doing. And if you run into a roadblock, there are a lot of people here who can explain ways around it.

If you tell us what specific battles you’re trying to win, like what tamers, or if you’re just trying to catch wild pets, and so on, we’d be able to give you a firmer direction.

The early battles, like against Zunta in Kalimdor or Julia Stevens in Elwynn Forest, are like Hruin said: you’re looking for something that is strong against the enemy pets.

Such as: Zunta has a critter pet and a beast pet. You could have a beast in slot one to do extra damage against the critter pet, and then a mechanical pet in slot 2 to do extra damage against the beast pet.

The really good combinations are when you find a pet that does strong damage against the enemy, but takes weak damage from them.

Using Zunta as an example again: Against his critter pet you could use a humanoid pet that has beast attacks. Humanoids take weak (decreased) damage from critter attacks, but can also do strong damage against the critter if they have beast attacks. Your Corefire Imp or Lil’ Bad Wolf would be a good example.

The beast pet might get a little trickier, but you could use a flying pet against it, because they take weak damage from beasts. There aren’t many flying pets that do strong damage against beasts, and the ones that do would need to be higher than lvl 1.

Anywho, hopefully that made sense. Feel free to ask questions, but you have to be specific on what you’re looking for help on, so we can give you more specific directions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The strong/weak cheat sheet found in the website Grarn posted is extremely helpful. I reference that cheat sheet every pet battle.

Rematch is really helpful for this. The little arrow by the search bar does a drop down with Type / Strong vs / Tough vs tabs. They have the family symbols, and filters everything for you.