Can I still play WoW - Without purchasing Shadowlands.... (even never)

As above states, if I don’t buy it, can I ramble on at my own pace doing what I (used to) think was fun?
Or am I hurdled back to level One to grind up to some fictitious number all over again. This Shadowlands seems to be worse in stat/level squishes than previous expansions not to mention all we lose again, and dang crafting is shot all over again, LOL.

4 Likes

Yeah you can play without purchasing Shadowlands. You just can’t play Shadowlands stuff.

4 Likes

Until the next expansion then you can play it as old content

2 Likes

If history is any indicator:

When 9.0 hits, you will be stat and level squished. That’s game-wide. If you don’t buy Shadowlands you can still access all of the level 50 and below content.

2 Likes

You’ll still be reduced to level 50 when Shadowlands launches.

Also not sure what you mean by lose again.

“Also not sure what you mean by lose again.”

Each loss of skill trees, weapon from and to Artifacts, enchants, foods, every expansion guts something if not everything. It is great for newcomers to get them into endgame and stay interested. But keeping some of the old and adding new things seems more pleasing instead of gutting/squishy each time.

My guess is there will be very little for you to do on a level 50 character compared to what you were able to do on a 110 during BfA.

1 Like

Azerite can barely be considered a skill tree. Some of the traits are being baked into the classes as talents or baseline, which is a good way to do it, but ultimately Azerite can die in a fire.

Um…I’m not sure I follow? You’re talking about the traits on the artifacts or? Apologies, this isn’t clear.

Makes sense, having enchants carry from different expansions makes little sense. We’re actually getting more enchants in Shadowlands for all sorts of armor types, so sounds like an improvement.

Does…food not carrying over really matter? I mean we just get new recipes with the same effects except stronger, and if you’re really nostalgic about the Big-Mech you can still make it.

“Something if not everything.”

Well…yes, but from your other evidence of things being removed, I’m not sure how much I believe this. We’re finally being unpruned (at least a little) and at this time it looks like most classes are getting more than they’re losing, which is a pleasant surprise. Time will tell how much we get back or lose.

This I can agree with. Stat squishes are necessary, and I’m all for the level squish, but I’d rather retain abilities than lose them. Though there’s not much from BfA I’d like to keep because Essences and Azerite and Corruption are so over bloated and poorly thought out that they can honestly vanish and I’ll be happy. I’d rather keep substance than garbage.

1 Like

Can you play BFA content if you don’t buy BFA… no.
Same goes for Shadowlands or any other expansion.
You’ll just be in your own phase doing whatever you like doing.

This has literally never been brought up ever

You lose exactly nothing

2 Likes

If you don’t purchase Shadowlands, but you keep your subscription active, you will be able to play everything that is currently in the game.

Few years ago they made it so your sub includes all old content (currently, that is Vanilla to Legion. BfA will be included when Shadowlands goes live).

1 Like

You can totally play without it, just won’t be able to enter the new zones is all. But all of the system changes (class reworks, level and stat squishes, etc) will affect you in 9.0 no matter what. There’s no escaping that.

You won’t be reset to level 1, you’ll be scaled down to a matching level based on where you are now. At 120 you’ll become 50.

1 Like

Definitely. You can play Classic and everything in Retail through BFA without buying Shadowlands.

From reading a bit of the OP’s post it sounds like they are confused as to what is happening in SL. And never really understood what happen when a new xpac comes out in general.

2 Likes

we are loosing azurite, essences, corruption, the possibility of sockets, avoidance, etc. and a stat squish that makes the leveling experience linear. Win, Win.

1 Like

You are not going to be able to stay 120 lv if that is what you were thinking.

what item level can you get to without shadowlands

Ey I love dead threads too, hello fellow pandaren necroposter.

Perhaps the forums search feature should be disabled so that players do not search for the question they seek, but instead start a new thread instead.

Name checks out.