Can editing existing sound files get you banned?

So I’ve been watching the (in)famous Verycoolguy play Classic WoW and noticed he is using his custom sound files that he used on his notable videos from private servers. If you don’t know what sounds I am talking about, like this: https://www.twitch.tv/verycoolguy666/clip/DirtyRelentlessTrollShazBotstix

I was curious as to how he does it and came across this guide: https://pastebin.com/zDxCfdDa

Apparently he showed it off on stream which is what this guide is based on, but that video has since expired. This piqued my interest, but I thought altering existing sound files can get you banned? He’s replacing the default sound files with his custom ones, but is the method he uses allowed?

I cant say for sure, but probably.

I’m not sure about these days. Back in Vanilla I ran purely on edited zone music files with my own zone music. Things were different then though, WoW was a fledgling mmo without nearly as many rules.

If Blizz does address this issue, I want them to know that the gun sounds drive me insane. I cannot play without modding it out.

1 Like

Anything else 6ix9ine?

Without watching the video, I can’t say for certain, but there’s a big difference between addons which process and filter information coming from the client, even ones with their own databases, such as DBM, AtlasLoot, or Auctioneer, and going in and altering the client’s files. That is a big no-no.

Unauthorized editing, replacement, or reproduction of any client assets is against the EULA and could, in theory, get you banned or make you subject of a copyright infringement suit.

That being said, changes that do not impact the play experience of other players and does not compromise or hinder the ability of the game client to protect the integrity of the server communication (and does not provide a playable advantage) are unlikely to be enforced. Though a streamer is more likely to be made example of. Unlikely doesn’t mean won’t / can’t / never will be.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney and this does not constitute legal advice. YMMV.

1 Like

Yeah. Changing the size of a flag in a battleground is a big no-no. Changing the sound files is grey area sliding towards no. Doing an addon that mutes game music and replaces it with a track list, however, should be fine. Like, you have a track set up to replace the Barrens music, so when Barrens music comes on, the addon mutes it and replaces with that track from your PC. That’d work. Changing the files in the client? That’s going to get Blizzard unhappy with you, especially if you share the info, since people who can find ways to edit one part of the client can edit other, more important parts.

1 Like

I would like to believe that changing the sound files on YOUR computer should be your business. it doesn’t affect anyone else.

However in the age of your business is my business, who knows

1 Like

You’re changing the game, not just the sound on your computer.

Editing game files will always get you banned.

2 Likes

It used to be very easy (and a supported feature) to change sound files if you knew the name and file path of the sound in question. You would just make a “Sounds” folder in your wow directory and put the appropriately named new sound in said folder.

I beleive this functionality was removed recently as collateral damage to fix a security issue.

1 Like

This was never the case. During Vanilla WOW a guild was able to modify the client-side files for AQ-40 to reach C’Thun without defeating any other bosses. They were all summarily banned for their efforts and ever since then modifying client side files in WOW has been a permanently bannable offense.

1 Like

Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: Blizzard has many, many times and in no uncertain terms labeled client asset modification as a bannable offense. Yes, even the purely aesthetic and non-gameplay changing ones. Why? Because it is not simple, realistic, or worth the development time to attempt to modify an anti-cheat system to determine if a client file modification is truly innocent in nature or not.

You’re going to get caught up in simply “You modified a thing, we told you to not modify things, now you’re banned.” situation. Definitely not worth.

The “maybe” is because I’m sure there’s certain key files they hold more weight towards and are more likely to ban if they see being tinkered around with, and such bans also tend to go out in “waves” so it’s not something you can immediately affirm as “safe” or not.

1 Like

While we’re on the topic I want to ask, does anyone else notice some of the sounds are actually off? For example Hamstring makes a Rend/bleed sound, and I remember it being the Wing Clip sound.

Another example is the druids in WC make a bear noise when they shapeshift into a snake…

I could be wrong I guess but some sounds just don’t seem right and are different from what I remember.

I remember that. But what I’m talking about, and the cthun exploit are two completely different things, years apart.

No.

If you have to ask, best not try it.

Editing a file is bad.

However, it you can override sound files if it still works that way in Classic (I have not tested this). A few years ago this was done in retail by creating a “sounds” folder and dumping your file in there, and no I didn’t read the guide in the OP.

You could get alternately get an addon to do it from a trusted addon site like curse or wowinterface which basically did the legwork for you.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/ui-add-on-development-policy/24534

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/ui-changes-in-rise-of-azshara/202487/22
I don’t know if Classic will have the problem indicated in the latter post.

To quote J Allen Brack - You think you are, but you aren’t. Editing game files - sounds or textures is illicit and bannable.