Can’t believe they left mage this way, plz tell me it’s toned down on beta

Yah that might have been the context. When I have engaged mages in whatever pvp format, that has been my experience. So, it applies broadly I think too.

Kind of bad design to make people take more damage for popping a defensive though.

Not sure what you mean by this. I already have shadow word death and all the talents that go with it. At least now I don’t have to waste all my mana taking down a mage shield. Yes, I rather use dispel, but I just had a BG where I did use a bunch of dispels to take down holy pally buffs and I was out of mana forever because I was in combat.

It is NOT worth using dispel the majority of the time. Again, this is outside arena. I was doing blitz brawl. In arena where there are only three people dispel is more powerful.

Yet another example of arena ruining pvp in the rest of the game.

Was just fighting a mage with 6 dispellable buffs on him.

Yea, no problem there. Perfectly fine.

Here’s the story of how this happened in a nutshell.

In Legion Arcane had exclusive access to this kind of playstyle, every single expansion after Legion they would add one major ability or playstyle mechanic from Arcane’s kit to the whole class and then the DF talent tree revamp happened and went in to overdrive giving all 3 specs Arcane and Fire abilities.