Calling it now... (LFG addon)

by by rp mods then and some raid mods

2 Likes

They can only break it to a certain extent without destroying other options.

Remember, you can just create a channel in the world that everyone can see and use. If we had a habit of doing that, no addon is needed. If an addon helps us craft and see messages posted to an open channel, but does nothing else, at what point is it against the spirit of vanilla?

Is the spirit of vanilla what people did in vanilla, or what people could do in vanilla? Is it anyone’s fault now if people 14 years ago didn’t use the functionality that was built into the game?

It’ll be interesting to see where it goes because they can over-correct on this too.

Could you not exclude specific / commands such as invite from being executed via api?

1 Like

Dunno, I don’t work for Blizzard. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Even with the addon you guys aren’t getting into the ony pugs unless you show up to the Ironforge bridge for a gear inspect.

1 Like

While I respect your opinion on it, Blizzards post was pretty clear and sums up what people have the biggest issue with regarding the LFG addon.

I have no problem with what ever addon anyone feels they need to use, right up until it has potential effects on those who choose not to use addons.

2 Likes

Maybe we could save the rage for when this actually happens.

Blizzard said they restrict it’s ability, not kill it.

Which is exactly what will happen. See bullet points 1 and 2

1 Like

People are comparing an addon that used Ilvl and removed community to using a WORLD channel? Uwot.

One is bad, one is good.

Hint: the channel is good.

Yes, you have been so correct with all your other comments, we should actually start listening to you now. Your reliability at this point is less than zero! I’m sure you can brainstorm with “Starman,” and work it out though.

Know when to quit already.

I think you’re right OP. It will break the automated portion of it. I think they’ll also break the talent visibility portion too. Other than that, I think they’ll leave the rest, as it’s pretty much just a better organized CtA.

1 Like

It’s not going to break the data sharing feature because too many other addons use it. Threat meters, most notably. RP addons most… rabid fan-ly.

Only thing Blizz can break without a lot of backlash is removing the ability for addons to send invites. Which would specifically break this kind of addon and ONLY this kind.

2 Likes

I’d agree with that.
Talent portion would also most likely be broken.

This would break very popular RP addons, and probably other addons we don’t mind.

Nah, there’s a function within the add-on that broadcasts groups, and others with the add-on automatically get them added to the list.

Call to Arms just parses chat and displays potential messages that could be groups.

Whatever allows that will be disabled, that’s the only way. Sorry if it affects your favorite add-on, but you can’t have one without the other.

0:44 - Ion Hazzikostas discussing add-ons at Blizzcon
7:10 - How the add-on broadcasts groups

Blizzard is just adding LFG to the client since people want it so bad. Already in retail

2 Likes

Never disputed that, I did read the entire post.

You will still have your LFG addon, no doubt there, it just won’t be against the intended spirit of the game. The blue post went into great detail regarding the social aspects of the game being a core design philosophy, and that anything counter to that will be scrutinized thoroughly.

I would expect they can achieve the outcome they need by not allowing add-on generated communications in global channels, but still allowing them to work locally, so once you are in a raid instance with people all the raid support addons can still share data.

I agree with you. That was all lumped into the “automated portion” I mentioned. Too hard to type too much atm, I’m on mobile. After the fix, it’ll need some tweaking, but i think it will survive and be limited to similar function as CtA.

Yea. I predict that as well.