Calia and Tess are Mirrors

Nothing wrong with having an opinion my friend. I don’t even play a Forsaken. My thoughts are just that since she was raised in Cata as the new generation of undead, AND she was a holy person before this, she grew alongside players in having to deal with and understand what the Forsaken are. Particularly the Forsaken created after the Third War.

I don’t know much about her otherwise, but when I think about who among the Forsaken would be able to understand and represent them post-Slyvanas, she’s the first to come to my mind.

I do however play a Worgen. Don’t even get me started there lol.

2 Likes

She didn’t “grow alongside players,” though. She ran off to do her own thing, which was murdering necromancers with much cackling and extra-speshul purply magic zomg. She was a semi-insane wild card who worked freely with both sides (Scholomance) but whom you wanted to kind of tiptoe around. There wasn’t another character like her, and it was a loss to the game when someone in Legion went, “Hmm, we can’t have all Alliance rogues in the order hall. Well, this Lillian person is undead, so she’s Horde, right? Shove her in!”

And then apparently some dev picked her up as a new toy, because suddenly she shows up in BfA all sweet and nurturing and rational and absolutely nothing like the Lillian Voss we previously knew and … well, previously knew. No, I am not willing to do the work of assuming she just mellowed and matured offscreen when I wasn’t looking. And goshdarnit, I miss the mad free agent necromancer slaughterer. Even if she was sometimes a bit eye-rolly and borderline Mary Sueish in her speshulness (which makes me suspect she has been a favorite toy for two different devs).

Oh, feel free to rant. That’s kinda what this thread is for, or could be for.

4 Likes

Dang, I respect that a lot. Again forgive my ignorance, I won’t claim to be Forsaken expert but that makes perfect sense. I’d be pissed too if they outright changed a character like that. It seems like they needed a character to fill a role and changed her to fill that role. A couple times too haha that’s garbage.

I appreciate it my friend, but I already wrote a topic the size of a novel on this forum about what a silly decision the Worgen debacle was. Here’s my main point:

Essentially, there’s a character named Darius Crowley who fought against Genn during the second war (opposed building the Gilnean Wall) then teamed up to save Gilneas from the Worgen and effectively saved them by teaming up with the Nelfs. Tess made it very clear she was uninterested in becoming a queen. So what’s the decision here?

Well, throw Darius in the garbage and make Tess the queen, obviously.

3 Likes

Calia is not the Queen of the Forsaken, she is merely one member of the Desolate Council.

2 Likes

I’ll support Calia as queen on the condition that her head doesn’t remain on her shoulders.

3 Likes

Thanks. And I’d be pretty ticked off about the Tess thing, in your shoes. This might be a case where people on opposite factions can really understand each other’s pain.

:point_down:

Could be a slip-up, but someone at Blizzard thinks she’s queen.

8 Likes

Plot twist. Lillian did actually die in Scholomance as it was implied. The one we saw from WoD onwards is a Dreadlord.

10 Likes

LOL, I’d take it! If only for the fun of saying of “undead dreadlord.”

4 Likes

I keep misreading the title as calling them minors and being very confused.

2 Likes

I think Tess Greymane is a character that they’ve had no idea what to do with. I would argue that she had one personality transplant for Legion and another during BfA, and before all that she had no established personality at all.

In Legion Tess inexplicably became what was basically an expy of Arya Stark (which also was one of the original lore reasons why Anduin didn’t want to start an intimate relationship with her, because he heard that she had apparently become an assassin).

After Legion though, they seemingly completely 100% abandoned the idea of Tess being an assassin and a member of the Uncrowned at all and has since been about becoming the Queen of Gilneas.

I believe that the devs have even stated at one point that the Class Hall campaigns are not necessarily 100% canon, so it’s possible that her involvement in the Uncrowned is now non-canon.

I don’t know if they’re ever going to acknowledge how Tess Greymane was basically Arya Stark for an expansion, and I’m guessing the current writers prefer to forget that she was portrayed that way.

It’s also apparent that Tess as a member of the Uncrowned was an abandoned story thread as she was originally supposed to be more involved in the BfA faction war content. What I’m guessing probably happened with Tess was internal fighting between devs over the direction to take Tess, which led to Tess not really showing up in a major way again until the Worgen heritage questline.

Another character who had an extreme personality change was Jaina Proudmoore when it came to the Legion version of her character and the BfA version.

6 Likes

I won’t entertain any negative Tess threads for at least 6 months, simply out of experience, because all the Tess hate in the last few days strongly resembles “Gamergate was just about journalism, bro!” denial and dishonesty.

Remember, people, debate isn’t about facts or logic, it’s about hiding your true thoughts with dogwhistles and code. And the Tess hate? I’ve seen this before a hundred times, and let me tell you, it isn’t about her as a character… At least not right now.

2 Likes

I find this sort of conspiratorial gobbledygook mildly entertaining. Despite your refusal to entertain the thread.

4 Likes

Someone has to be the paranoid one right?

2 Likes

Tess is actually cool. Calia is a filthy traitor.

1 Like

Which is exactly why the reclaiming Gilneas questline should’ve involved her being infected and becoming one whether she wanted it or not. <----in her opinion.

As for Lillian’s personality transplant…don’t get me wrong, I love character development and her going from a strictly neutral “mwa-ha-ha death to all Scarlet Crusade/necromancers with my special purple death powers” to “therapist for new undead” would’ve been a lot more interesting if we’d actually been allowed to see/experience said character growth as it happened.

5 Likes

I don’t really like Lilian much. But she is something. We don’t have any major Forsaken characters that look like Forsaken. At least her time with Zelling in BfA can somewhat explain her softening attitude.

I had that issue with Sylvanas and Nathanos - they looked nothing like the playable race (after Nathanos gets his upgrade). It just irked me that all the other races have leadership that represents the playable race, EXCEPT the Forsaken.

So whether Lilian is interesting or lame, I cut her slack for being Forsaken and looking like the rest of them.

Still, Blizzard can’t help themselves, and dumps Calia and Derek to replace Sylvanas and Nathanos. They don’t pretend to develop current Forsaken Characters… they just basically add new ones who look nothing like the Players…. again.

Tess has a similar issue. She isn’t a Worgen but she now leads the Playable Worgen. In fact, she doesn’t want to be like the Playable Worgen.

5 Likes

You hit the nail on the head perfectly. It’s such a simple, obvious, surface-level writing flaw and I don’t know how this could have possibly happened twice.

The only thing I can come up with is that Blizzard is just completely incapable of humanizing anyone who isn’t human (or a human with pointy ears).

Baffling.

3 Likes

“From here on now we will be the forsaken and we will slaughter anyone who stand in our way!”
Sylvanas windrunner leader of the forsaken.
Wanting this back in the forsaken but i don’t think that the new leaders have this kind of atitude.

I think that out of all of them all Belmont has it.

2 Likes

I’d love to see Alexei Barov, personally, but that’s just me.

4 Likes