Bwomsamdis bargain

It’s a fairly common concept in fiction. Whether it’s a literal oath you’ve made that binds your entire bloodline, or something else entirely, it’s not unheard of.

Consider, if you will, the idea of a curse that affects an entirely family. Often the curse was cast due to one person in that family, but it will now impact the family itself for so long as the blood remains.

The real question becomes exactly how it’s handled, I’d think.

King Rastekhan offers his bloodline. He specifically says “bloodline”. The deal wouldn’t have been made at all without that. However, earlier in the discussion he also promises to “elevate” Bwonsamdi above all other loa in the empire.

The contract, then, is practically genetic. It’s not a pact between Bwonsamdi and Rastekhan, so much as a pact between Bwonsamdi and the very blood of Rastekhan’s being. All of that blood, wherever it is. That blood flows through Talanji, but it belongs to Rastekhan.

Similar, if you will, to how Akasha, in Queen of the Damned, is able to control her blood regardless of whether or not it’s in another vampire. The deal is written into his blood, and belongs not to Rastekhan himself, but to anyone his blood inhabits naturally.

Which brings up a way that Talanji can screw Bwonsamdi over, merely by not having any children. No children, no bloodline, and Bwonsamdi gets a really poor return on his investment.

That gives Talanji some leverage to renegotiate the contract…

Depending on how Trolls see things, it’s entirely possible that Talanji could adopt a child, raise it as her own, and name it her successor. If Troll society allows her to (she’s basically the law isn’t she?), then she could escape the bargain entirely without giving up her legacy.

1 Like

I think Bwinsamdis is lying or more like telling the half truth,the curse didn’t affect talanji til her fathers death and only when it touched her. If she wasn’t there or did touch him i do believe it wouldn’t have pass onto her.

We have no particular reason to believe that’s true, though. The only thing we know is that Rastekhan offered his blood line and Bwonsamdi accepted the offer.

There’s no indication in WoW lore that you can not be bound up in such a bargain by your family or someone else. Given that it’s a world where dark magic that can literally force people to do your bidding, I don’t see why being forced into agreements by your family would be that strange.

My bets on Bwonsamdi getting offed somehow :stuck_out_tongue:

Did anyone else notice he said “Ive been wanting a Warchief spirit for a long time”? Not “the Warchief”, not “her spirit”. Did he mean Vol’jin (I think obviously yes) and Garrosh too?

1 Like