Burning Crusade Classic in add/remove programs

So, I was doing some cleanup on my hardrive and came across an entry called “Burning Crusade Classic” in the add/remove programs in Windows. I try to “uninstall” and it says that the launcher must be used. There is no Burning Crusade Classic in the launcher. I have a shortcut on the desktop to it (Titled “Burning Crusade Classic” so I used that to navigate to the folder in which the file exists. That just takes me to the WoW folder and highlights the wowlauncher.exe. I do a full search for burning crusade and only come up with the shortcut. SO I have no way to remove this from the programs list. I’m sure it’s not a big problem, but it may be the cause of some unknown complications.

Any ideas on what/why this is and how to deal with it?

What Windows version are you running?

Windows 10 still has the old-school Programs and Features control panel applet (separate from the Windows 10 “Programs” setting app) which allows you to remove a spurious entry in the list of applications. Because that has always been a Windows issue: uninstalled programs not removing their own entry from the listbof installed apps.

1 Like

Win10

I have tried the control panel function as well. My only option is to uninstall/change. When I select that option is get a battle.net error saying “This game requires uninstallation through the battle.net desktop app”

Well, if all else fails, that SuperUser article shows what registry entry or entries need to be deleted to manually clean up that uninstaller entry. A little bare-knuckles, but it may be the only recourse asides from learning to ignore the spurious entry.

1 Like

It does not seems as though it’s just an entry that wasn’t removed. My PC views it as an installed program, even though it shows as not having a file size. Which worries me.

I can live with ignoring it if needed. I HATE to mess with the registry if I don’t absolutely have to.

I appreciate your help.