Bunch of addons failing due to some change in SetBackdrop

or SetBackdropBorderColor. Anyone have any idea what change needs to be made to get those working again? Some are unmaintained so I’ll have to make the changes manually.

I found this thread that’s on topic but above my head, should I just be commenting out the problematic lines and hoping for the best?

Sample error:

Message: Interface\AddOns\Omen\Omen-3.2.2.lua:802: attempt to call method ‘SetBackdrop’ (a nil value)
Time: Tue Oct 13 20:03:03 2020
Count: 1
Stack: Interface\AddOns\Omen\Omen-3.2.2.lua:802: attempt to call method ‘SetBackdrop’ (a nil value)

Locals:

2 Likes

Update your addons. Might need to install the alpha version of some till they get their release version updated.

… yeah, thanks. I’ve already updated all available and will continue updating but in the meantime I’m trying to figure out what the fix is so that I can, as mentioned, update the addons that I use that are no longer maintained and won’t get updated.

1 Like

Need to change the affected frames to use the BackdropTemplate.
eg https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showpost.php?p=336634&postcount=24

1 Like

That post states that they tried that fix and it didn’t work for them. Is it the real fix?

In the past Blizzard used to document the LUA API changes in great detail when the pre-patch would hit PTR so that addon authors could better prepare. It seems like this time around everyone was left to fend for themselves instead and it feels like quite the dumpster fire.

1 Like

You’re right, that’s wrong. It’s this

CreateFrame("Frame", nil, PARENT_FRAME, BackdropTemplateMixin and "BackdropTemplate");
3 Likes

If frames are created in XML they will also need to be changed to include
inherit="BackdropTemplate"
or if they already inherit another template then
inherit="listOfTemplatesInherited, BackdropTemplate"
where listOfTemplatesInherited is a single or comma delimited list of templates originally inherited by the frame.

List of 9.0 changes
https://github.com/Stanzilla/WoWUIBugs/wiki/9.0.1-Consolidated-UI-Changes

1 Like

I’m still getting the same error…I’ve updated all my addons. I have no idea how to change any of the stuff mentioned in this feed (updating any kind of code is not something anyone wants me to do). I don’t even know where to go in and fix that line of code.

Other than disabling Swatter any helpful suggestions?

you need to contact the author of the mod that still has the issue to get them to fix it.

I’m seeing this in a couple of parts of Auctioneer since 9.1.5. The frames are created with the proper mixin request but the tooltip frames (created with “GameTooltipTemplate”) are not. It’s an easy enough fix to append the additional template.

This is why we don’t necro old posts. Different code issue.

The API is a dynamic thing and especially in this forum, bring back old threads really kinda fouls things up.

There are already a number of current threads about this issue open.

Please read the forum guidelines and if you have any doubt at all about necroing an older thread (more than back past the last patch), please think about not doing so.