Building Over time good or bad?

Hi!

With the holidays coming around the corner i feel like now is a good time to try and snag some parts for my build. However I’m not sure if it’s worth building my project over time or all together? I was looking at the deals on the Ryzen chips and would like to purchase one. I just can’t decide on which Ryzen number (5 series or 7) is better for gaming or not.

Has anyone built a computer over the course of a few months and if so how successful was it? So I’m just asking is this a good plan making this a project and purchase parts as I go or wait til I have enough for the entire thing and purchase all together?

Thanks!

I always build mine all at once but if you want to buy parts over a couple of months there’s nothing wrong with that. Just make sure you get compatible parts. I’d recommend getting the CPU and motherboard at the same time to avoid the possibility of selling out of superceded parts and being stuck with a CPU you can’t get a board for.

Do you have any recommendations for which CPU I should get? I would like to get away from 1080 and look at a 1440.

I use Ryzen, are you planning to do any content creating or playing games outside of WoW?

Ryzen 5 3600 is more than enough if you just go games otherwise a 3700x might be more suitable for the extra threads

1 Like

Kinda. Depends on the game but overall mostly all gaming. Just want something more powerful and a better increase in general from my my current FX-6300. Would the 2600-2600X work or do I need 3600?

Get the 3600 as it out performs any 2000 series, including my 2700x

But on black Friday, Amazon may have the 3700x for sale as part of black Friday,

Check next Wednesday to see what’s coming up with Amazon, they tend to have countdowns of items going on sale, otherwise a 3600 is good