Building a competitive guild from the ground up

If a person was to build a new, server competitive guild from the ground up on a new server how would you go about it? Starting with 3 high performing people. Would you develop an app process or would you recruit from pugs to build a group of 40 as fast as possible and then distill it down? How would you approach loot? How would you approach alts? Not looking to build a #1 guild but something respectable with a good community and content focused vs loot focused.

It’s too late for that, frankly.

All of the good players are already in good guilds. Even the disgruntled players who end up leaving their guilds for whatever reason are not willing to wait months to find the 30+ other people needed to fill a group with competent players.

Join an established guild and seek to form another raid group within it, or accept the fact you’ll be raiding casually.

1 Like

Muscle your way in to several good guilds and strongarm them into joining your guild when you leave.

2 Likes

lol

The only question you’ll need: “Are you such a scrub or sociopath that no established guild will have you?”

It’s too late to be competitive. It isn’t too late to be a friendly guild with some muscle.

2 Likes

New guilds form literally daily and many of those are putting up competitive clear times so they’re clearly not all scrubs. Guilds transfer, form, break etc all the time.

@OP, running pugs would probably be your best bet. Even as you fill out your roster you’ll still likely have a few spots so you use pug slots as filler and “auditions” simultaneously

I would consider it like I would any organization. If company “Lolzorpants Co.” decides to have a recruitment and interview process that copies Google, for example, they may have difficulty finding candidates, as they have no reputation, accomplishments or established name.

If you decide on goals, and work towards them, like-minded people tend to follow along. At this stage of content, depending on where you are with your levels, and gear progression, I’d start to build out something like:

• pre-BiS instance farming during scheduled raid days/times, while recruiting/filling roles
  • a 20 man core for ZG
  • build on that core for MC/BWL

Consistency over time seems to be an excellent way to cultivate teams and organizations, imo.

Yeah, you can have scheduled days/times, and fill seats with PuGs with a “the show must go on” attitude, until you eventually get full guild groups.

First, you’re going to be filling spots with pugs for a while. You’re going to be feeling about new members for a while. My guild that started when Earthfury launched just added two officers this week from our core. It took us from November to late December to get a solid 40. Even then we had issues between MC and BWL with people bored and taking nights off. Now we have the lull before AQ. Already hearing some complain about the Cenarion rep grind. If you’re going to make a raiding guild now I’d look to be a solid group rather than a competitive one. Your competitive raiders are already raiding outside or some drama filled ones. You can still get solid players, but server firsts won’t be in your grasp. Which to me is fine. I’m clearing content. That was my goal when I came to Classic. I didn’t have the goal of server first or being the top feral druid on my server. Don’t have time for that.

Our mains are very well geared with only a couple BWL upgrades left. We are used to parsing in the 90’s. That said, I am not against helping some folks out. I am in no way looking to be #1. Top 10 or 15 would be fine with me. Those guilds will clear naxx and that’s the long term goal.

1 Like